• Facebook

• YouTube

• BandMix

• I'm still looking for the right band

Results are only viewable after voting.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've been in maybe 30 bands, and in every case, they found me. They either saw me playing with another band, saw me at a jam, or I was recommended to them and they contacted me. My main project with Al arose from a chance meeting... aka "right place, right time"

John Q. Drummer

Not currently an official member of any band. I guess I’m considered the official “backup” drummer of my last band, which was an original country/Americana band of which I was in for over 5.5 years. My last gig as the "official" drummer of that band was on January 7th, 2022.

The leader of that country band and I have been friends for over 18+ years now when he was auditioning drummers for the original rock band he was putting together way back when. The stars aligned and we became wildly popular and experienced a huge amount of success in a very short amount of time. A 6 song EP we recorded got us radio play across the Midwest and the West Coast, offers for tours, the whole thing. That band imploded due to none of us really knowing how to deal with it, myself included. Some of us had various addiction problems as a result of that experience. (Alcohol for me.)

We maintained our friendship and fast forward years later, he reached out and asked me to join his new country thing. Told him I wasn’t a country guy and had no real interest in it, but I did it anyway partly at the urging of my wife who was with me during the aforementioned rock band. She knew that the leader has a way of making stuff happen and has connections everywhere. So I decided to join the group and it was a blast until it wasn’t. We were doing about 90 shows a year at the end and I simply didn’t want to play that much anymore. I could hack it physically, but mentally it kicked my butt.

So now I’m the backup drummer of the band I helped build from the ground up which is still strange and I honestly haven’t processed that yet.

The last time I auditioned for folks I didn’t know was for that rock band 18+ years ago.

In the poll above, I said through friends.

Houndog1964

Met my bandleader at a jam , joined her band a few months later then ended up marrying her .
Going on 3 years with band …..80% originals.
Currently working on an album , here’s the 1st song ….

1 hit wonder

The only other religiously gigging band I was in was a tip from my gf. Her coworker had a boyfriend looking for a drummer so that the singer could stop drumming and just sing. Stayed there for a couple years before switching to bass with them.

River19

I didn't find a choice for "I made out with their daughter/niece".........so I couldn't officially vote.....

In my defense, I was 17 and she was hot.......we ended up dating for couple years.......their family was amazingly musical Dad=Bass, Mom=Keys, Uncle=Guitar.....all could sing amazingly well. Relationship split, but we have all been friends for 30 years now......

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Funny you should ask.

Three years ago last week, I was playing with two different bands at a hometown festival. During the middle of all of this, I caught word that someone wanted to sit in for a song. This had happened MANY times before, so I was like "Whatever man."

Up walks this skinny, young kid in cowboy boots and a ball cap, and grabs one of the guys' guitars:

"What song you want?"
"Let's do Tennessee Whiskey."
"You start it, and I'll jump in."

I didn't even know his name. At 30 seconds into the video, he hits that first little vocal run, and you'll see me turn my head. What I'm doing is mouthing to my wife "WHO IS THIS?!?!?" I was hooked. Here's the video:

And here's a video from this past Saturday:

I would love to give credit where credit is due, but let's just say we can talk religion on here.

We are on a journey, and it's pretty freakin' incredible.

I don't play in the other two bands anymore.

River19

Funny you should ask.

Three years ago last week, I was playing with two different bands at a hometown festival. During the middle of all of this, I caught word that someone wanted to sit in for a song. This had happened MANY times before, so I was like "Whatever man."

Up walks this skinny, young kid in cowboy boots and a ball cap, and grabs one of the guys' guitars:

"What song you want?"
"Let's do Tennessee Whiskey."
"You start it, and I'll jump in."

I didn't even know his name. At 30 seconds into the video, he hits that first little vocal run, and you'll see me turn my head. What I'm doing is mouthing to my wife "WHO IS THIS?!?!?" I was hooked. Here's the video:

And here's a video from this past Saturday:

I would love to give credit where credit is due, but let's just say we can talk religion on here.

We are on a journey, and it's pretty freakin' incredible.

I don't play in the other two bands anymore.

You really have a good thing going. While of course Alex is amazing on vocals and as a front man......you kill it behind the kit on these tunes. Really well done and servicing the music perfectly which is what it is all about from jazz to speed metal and everything in between it is all about serving the music. Well done sir.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
You really have a good thing going. While of course Alex is amazing on vocals and as a front man......you kill it behind the kit on these tunes. Really well done and servicing the music perfectly which is what it is all about from jazz to speed metal and everything in between it is all about serving the music. Well done sir.

Thank you so much! It's a blessing to do it.

NouveauCliche

Coming up on 10 years - going great.

Just got back from a complete summer of shows all over the country and spend the last two weeks doing the sold out WOMAD Festival in South Africa and working on an album with 2x Grammy Award Producer John Lindemann that worked on Paul Simon's Graceland IN South Africa fusing our indigenous jazz/funk/jam stuff with several South African Artists. We heard a lot of the first mixes and they are incredible - keep an eye out for a New York Times Piece about us to be out slightly before the album release - I'll link it here on the forum when it comes out. We have several shows across the southwest in November and a week at the Smithsonian in DC then we finally get to rest for a minute in December - back into the studio in January and 4 weeks out on tour in February!

Life's good!

I wanted to choose two..I gave up already, and I am still looking...

My band consists of my Grandkids..Only ones I can get to play along with me..LOL

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I’m like Bermuda - they find me. In fact, Bermuda found me to fill in for him on one of his longer-running covers band (it’s been well over ten years by now). Every time I try to find one, it never works out.