How did the New Breed affect your playing?

dmacc_2

I actually completed Book 1 and have been through it a few times. I am focusing heavy on Book 2 now almost more than anything.

Affected my playing? Hard to say since I've been working out of both Book 1 and Book 2 since they came out. Though some periods more than others. Overall I believe the exercises has reinforced my sense of pulse and have seriously strengthened my coordination.

These books are only a waste of time if you choose to not be interested in what they offer. Same can be said about many books that advance a given element on a particular topic.

Someone does not need to study intently ALL of Stick Control, Accents & Rebounds, Wilcoxon, Master Studies, Syncopation and a vast amount of other material in order to play along songs in a band or to play along with favorite recordings.

It's a personal preference/decision to take independence and control exercise to whatever levels someone personally desires.

Icetech

Gold Member
I need to check out that book... i swear i'm worse at playing than i was 3 years ago.. i don't know if it's apathy or my brain melting with old age.. but it's annoying :)

ZDrumMan

I just looked over this book after reading this thread. I approach open hand playing in a different fashion. I started with two limbs. Using a straight eighth note ostinato as an example (something common to the right or dominant hand) I will then play that in the left hand. Then I will play all combinations of notes in the right hand keeping the left hand steady on straight eighth notes. I will then move what my right hand was doing to my right foot and after being comfortable with the LH and RF I will add in the RH on 2 and 4. Of course after that, I will add the two feet patterns either as a double bass or HH and BD or work on another ostinato cymbal pattern.
The key to this method is after getting the physical/mental process worked out, focusing on the ostinato as your metronome.

BigDrew

Stuuuuupiiiiiddddd question for you guys.

I never used this book and just checked it out. The first page has a note that says, "Left and right hands play simultaneously in this system. Be careful to avoid flamming." The the exercises show consistent 16th notes played on the hi hat and snare on 2 and 4. Are you guys actually playing the hi hat and the snare at the same time on 2 and 4? If so, are you playing three 16ths in a row with your left hand?

1632492935308.png

No, the second system has the right hand on the hi hat and the left hand on the snare. Just look at the left of the staff. The text only corresponds to the first system.

BigDrew

No, the second system has the right hand on the hi hat and the left hand on the snare. Just look at the left of the staff. The text only corresponds to the first system.
Thanks, but it shows the hi hat and snare being played simultaneously on line 2. When YOU play it, do you play both together?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Thanks, but it shows the hi hat and snare being played simultaneously on line 2. When YOU play it, do you play both together?

System #1: Each hand playing separate hi-hats in unison 16ths. Melody with right foot on bass drum.

System #2: 16ths on hi-hat with right hand, 1 & 4 with left hand on snare, step hi-hat with left foot on all fours. Melody with right foot on snare drum. So, yes.

Obviously, we don't all have multiple hi-hats, but you use what you have. Pictures in bookshow the setup Gary used.

So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell yo

moxman

Silver Member
Fantastic book.. it improves everything.. independence, reading, timing, and in my case singing! Just vocalizing while playing added another limb to my skillset. Now I can talk or sing without missing a beat. I looked at book 2 but it was just more of the same but more complex. Book 1 will last you a lifetime..
Also I don't use a floor tom on the left.. but I do use a percussion tree and can play practically any percussion pattern with my left and the drum pattern with my right.

iwearnohats

Silver Member
I love the book! But gosh, my attention span doesn't. Unfortunately I've never practiced beyond the first three systems as I will always "get around to it" or I just simply can't focus on it for more than a few days at a time in my practice routine.

That being said though, it's absolutely one of my essential must-have books. And I will definitely get around to it sooner or later once I continue to rebuild good practice habits. I'm currently focusing on Alan Dawson's method using the Syncopation exercises as melodies for his systems and loving it - so not sure why I struggle so much with the New Breed since I really enjoy doing Alan Dawson's systems and it's exactly the same sort of concept, just different application.

drumnut87

never read it or studied from it, so ive no idea what effect it'l have on me xD