How did drumming change your body?

Hungry? That's easy. Whenever there's food around, all you have to do is:

SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

I learned that from a highly intelligent person here, who by coincidence, also has buff ass.

Wise words indeed.

:)

Hahahaha! I deserve that.

Oh, but I can't shut it. I won't! I really love eating.

I've noticed that my forearms have gotten stronger. Probably my calf muscles too.

My mind has probably been the most affected by drumming. I feel more mentally agile than ever :)

To answer the original question: Not too much, but it's been hell on wristwatches. I had to give up on them. Too fragile.

& for Nancy

Hahahaha! I deserve that.

Oh, but I can't shut it. I won't! I really love eating.

Eat every other day. I've done it for years. On those eating days go for quality fare.

To answer the original question: Not too much, but it's been hell on wristwatches. I had to give up on them. Too fragile.

& for Nancy

Eat every other day. I've done it for years. On those eating days go for quality fare.

I had the same trouble with wristwatches! I gave them up, too.

About eating - even fasting one or two days a week is beneficial for most people.

& for Nancy

You have got to be kidding. I can barely go three hours without eating if I'm drumming a lot*, and you're telling me to skip a day? I'm hungry all the time when I'm drumming a lot because I'm constantly building muscle; it needs fuel to thrive and grow.

The hunger growls and barks like a rage inside of me. It will not be ignored.

*I'm not "drumming a lot" lately due to a shoulder injury, which I'm seeing the surgeon about today. Will probably post an update separately.

About eating - even fasting one or two days a week is beneficial for most people.

No, it's not. Where do people get this idea? It might be spiritually beneficial, if you think starvation brings you closer to God, but it doesn't do anything for your body, which needs a fairly consistent supply of food to operate at its best. It's not good to have depletion, then a spike in blood sugar, then another depletion, et cetera.

Listen to me, the big expert on healthful eating. The big, fat expert, ha. Well, lately I have been eating less crap, and it's starting to pay off. It does take discipline.

Fasting is NOT good for your body...eating small healthy meals often (5-6x day) maximizes metabolism and minimizes blood sugar spikes. The typical US lifestyle of eating three big meals (or two, skipping breakfast) along with the terrible other nutrition choices (soda, "coffees", etc.) is not natural or desirable.

No, it's not. Where do people get this idea? It might be spiritually beneficial, if you think starvation brings you closer to God, but it doesn't do anything for your body, which needs a fairly consistent supply of food to operate at its best. It's not good to have depletion, then a spike in blood sugar, then another depletion, et cetera.

Listen to me, the big expert on healthful eating. The big, fat expert, ha. Well, lately I have been eating less crap, and it's starting to pay off. It does take discipline.

Starvation? Come on, starvation is after 10 to 20 to 30 days. We constantly overeat. If we were hunting and gathering and scarcely keeping up with caloric burn rates... then yeah, I would agree. But we're not, we are fat and getting fatter. A fast one or two days a week or every other day is not starvation.

Oh and that stomach growling thing... I have heard and read that those noises emanating from the gut is the sound of the stomach returning to its regular size....

One of the beauties of a day or two off of the bandwagon per week is that it does instill a bit of discipline and that the urge to eat is diminished which helps on those eating days. Again, eat quality foods, eat less, never eat anything you can't recognize, and wean yourself off of processed foods (i.e. cook from scratch without all the added chems), and make water your drink of choice.

As for depletion... unless you're bone thin, it's a safe bet that you have plenty of supplies. Now as for your brain... if you need to eat on "fast" days, a small handful of nuts, perhaps a small piece of fruit, a fresh squeezed lime and water... a teaspoon of honey... anything that will put calories into your system and feed the noodle. But over time the body adjusts and starts tapping into the onboard supplies.

Love//geo

Last edited:

& for Nancy

Do not do this. The body stores fat as it thinks there is a famine when you stop eating for 24 hours, and when you start eating again there is a huge insulin spike. If you need to lose weight then eat a balanced diet. Eat small amounts at regular intervals, the body need good nutrition to function properly.

Do not do this. The body stores fat as it thinks there is a famine when you stop eating for 24 hours, and when you start eating again there is a huge insulin spike. If you need to lose weight then eat a balanced diet. Eat small amounts at regular intervals, the body need good nutrition to function properly.

This is what I'm doing, and I've always had water with me, even back when I had to carry a Tupperware bottle (before people started carrying water bottles). I don't drink sodas or eat fast food or any of that stuff; my vice is ice cream. As vices go, it's a doozy!

One change I've made recently is to eat a bowl of granola with skim milk for breakfast. I find it stays with me, and kills the "I'm starving!"-inspired craving for a cheeseburger and fries at lunchtime.

But over time the body adjusts and starts tapping into the onboard supplies.

Love//geo

Do you also self-flagellate? As a type 1 diabetic, I've been forced to learn a lot about nutrition. I'm sorry but your ideas are completely wrong. When you go so long without eating, your body starts many processes to save itself, including slowing down the metabolism. When you say "tap into onboard supplies", this means the body starts eating itself. It doesn't start eating fat, it starts eating muscle.

Do you also self-flagellate? As a type 1 diabetic, I've been forced to learn a lot about nutrition. I'm sorry but your ideas are completely wrong. When you go so long without eating, your body starts many processes to save itself, including slowing down the metabolism. When you say "tap into onboard supplies", this means the body starts eating itself. It doesn't start eating fat, it starts eating muscle.

Spot on /\

I did a lot of research on nutrition, as an endurance coach, and fasting is not desirable or sensible.

Define fasting. I was talking about not eating every other day. That is a type of fast but it is not a total all out fast. Eating 1 meal per day is also a type of fast. Not eating bread is another type of fast (at el).

I never suggested a long duration fast. I have tried going 2 and 3 days without eating and that was too long. Every other day is fine. Additionally I also noted that if you are feeling famished or hungry on the "fast" day to nibble on some nuts or beans or perhaps a piece of fruit and there are days where I do have to nibble, but not "small meal" nibble, just a small amount. Enough to adjust the feeling.

As for full on insulin rush on eating days, that doesn't happen to me. I do not eat processed foods like granola, or flakey flakes, or really anything I cannot make from scratch. I don't overuse salt, and avoid sugar unless it comes in the fruit or veggie. I also do not eat very many carbs like bread, pastas, noodles etc... BUT, when I do eat bread it is fresh made without the additives and preservatives. If I cannot recognize what I'm eating (a piece or fruit, a chicken leg etc...) I don't eat it. That means... (for example) a production lasagna (laced with every chemical known to practically embalm you over time). Keep it fresh. Keep it as natural as possible. And make water your drink of choice.

I don't have a problem with yo-yo weight from eating every other day, in fact I don't have a problem with losing or maintaining a healthy weight. I work out, lift weights, walking, and stretches. I had to make a lifestyle change a decade ago and "dieting" wasn't working and since I wasn't running marathon's or some other activity of intense nature I figured this out and talked with nutritionists, doctors, etc... It was easier this way than figuring out some diet plan.

Ever try eating everything raw? With the exception of meat that is. I did it for 30 days, veggies and fruit only. My HDL and LDL numbers were remarkably low, the doctor was astounded. It wasn't easy but those numbers were never better. Long duration? Not something I think I could do over the long term.

And speaking of meat, I do eat lean meat, but I only use it as a flavoring and not a main course. Dairy... egg whites and just a little cheese for flavoring. Off the shelf "healthy" flavored yogurt... has as much sugar as a soda... nope.

As for diabetes, I don't have it, but it does run in my family. My dad had it and my sisters have it. My mother did not. Genetics? Perhaps. And yes I do understand the needs of diabetics. The person I was chatting to obviously by the described diet does not have diabetes either. What I have noticed about one of my sisters is that she is insulin dependent and really hasn't changed poor eating practices.

I'll end it here. Believe it or not, just as I don't believe that the standard American diet is remotely healthy, cleaning up the intake and moderating intake (by differing approaches) is beneficial. But eating smaller amounts of the same junk day in a day out does nothing towards meeting nutritional requirement nor maintaining a healthy weight. It really is that simple.

Here's some source material from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

First check sources for a definition of the AJCN. You can go beyond Wiki but it's a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Journal_of_Clinical_Nutrition

Here's a study from the AJCN: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/4/981.full.pdf

Even HuffPo UK did a piece. However as I doubt the due diligence of HuffPo on many "researched" articles I choose not to post here.

Anyway... Fast/Not a Fast choose your language. Some call it a 48 hour cycle.

Last edited:
Not eating for 24 hours is fasting, check the definition. No one said anything about eating less junk food regularly, the recommendation was to eat proper nutrition in reasonable amounts.

Fad diets are also not needed, just sensible portions of good food. Raw veg is nice but also not a requirement. I don't eat meat but that's cos I dont like it, the health benefits are just a side issue. Eat sensibly and do some exercise and you can live without having to think constantly about what you are putting into your body and how you are going to deal with it.

I eat pretty much what I like, I am not interested in junk food or sugary drinks. Leave them out and most of the world would be ok.

It contributed to developing tinnitus and also joint problems in my shoulder.
It gave me a happy heart though...

I threw out my back for the first time ever at a gig the other day, does that count? Literally hundreds of shows and I finally hit the "maybe I'm too old for this" mark.

Back