how common is it to crash the "ride" cymbal?

Ransan

It's cool, I see what you are saying.

As for working the material, I dont know. I do know you can change the alignment of the molecular structure. Whether or not that alters density, that would require a metallurgist to answer.
This is great stuff and insightful as well thanks for that. Now I’m really getting excited.

I know hot-forged metal-like traditional cymbal makers-are stronger than cast metals. I'm pretty sure the heat and hammering alter the crystalline structure but I don't think it changes the density of the metal (that stays constant I would think).
GetAgrippa Agreed, hammering will alter surface tension but should not change density overall.

wraub

Density is the mass of an object per unit of volume. In other words, metals with the same mass will occupy less or more space depending on their density. A metal with a high density will occupy a smaller space than a metal with a low density. A metal with a low density will occupy a larger space than a metal with a higher density. This space the metals occupy is called volume.

Since density is mass per unit volume, the density of a metal can be calculated by submerging it in a known amount of water and measuring how much the water rises. This rise is the volume of the metal. Its mass can be measured using a scale. The unit for density is gm/cm3.

http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/bradshaw/lessons/elements/density.html

Perhaps we just need an agreed-upon graduated cylinder and amount of water, and all the cymbals. Can't be too difficult. ;) :D

Last edited: