How can I work to Syncopation?

BurakGoncu

I have the drum book Syncopation for the Modern Drummer. I can read all notes.. But I don't know how can I work this book... Can someone tell this..

I have the drum book Syncopation for the Modern Drummer. I can read all notes.. But I don't know how can I work this book... Can someone tell this..

Ok, so what are you studying? Like what genre? Alan Dawson has a way of working through some exercises in the book very formulaically to strengthen a lot of things simultaneously, coordination, hand technique, foot technique, musicality, time, its all in there if you follow him. Works for about any genre if you think about it too. I would check that out, theres a book The Drummers Complete Vocabulary As Taught by Alan Dawson the John Ramsay wrote, http://www.amazon.com/Drummers-Complete-Vocabulary-Taught-Dawson/dp/0769265243 and this book is a great way to get into the Alan Dawson Method to Syncopation. Good luck, man. All the best, think Im actually gettin my syncopation out right now, you made me miss it.

Begin by incorporating these rhythms over foot patterns such as quarter notes with the bass drum, hats on 2 & 4, etc. Then try and incorporate these rhythms with fills and grooves, by say taking the eighth note syncopatinos and applying them on the bass drum for a swing a groove or something like that. The possibilities are infinite so use your imagination!

Agree ccsimms......play a jazz pattern on the cymbal.....qtr notes on the kick.....2-4 on the HH.......then read the snare on the page. I did this book from 1976-78. Imagine all the other things you can do. Experiment. Use a metronome.

That is a great book. Just make sure you play the accents man. It's all about the accents. They have plenty of patterns in there. Just play the accents loud and clear.

Thanks for all answers.. You helped me much.. But I need more detailed information about that. Example: I dont see the accents at syncopation..

Back