How can I use a tune-bot with a free floating drum?

johnwesley

Silver Member
First, you're never going to get tuning or anything else perfect. Second, if the Sleishman's are as I remember, similar to Pearl free floaters, they tune just like an "ordinary" drum. Third, you're never going to get tuning or anything else perfect.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You would use the tunebot the same way on a free floater as you would on a conventional drum.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
OK but only on one side because when you tighten, it acts simultaneously on both sides.
True. I was thinking of a Pearl free floater, my bad. You don't have as much tuning control with Sleishman as far as different pitches on the respective heads. Said by someone who never played them, I'm taking an educated guess. Different pitches on the heads have to be done with head thickness which is very limiting. I couldn't get on with a snare drum like that. Toms? Maybe. But not the snare or the bass drum. In my mind one tuning adjustment for both heads is a dealbreaker for me. I like big differences on all my drums.

johnhavart

True. I was thinking of a Pearl free floater, my bad. You don't have as much tuning control with Sleishman as far as different pitches on the respective heads. Said by someone who never played them, I'm taking an educated guess. Different pitches on the heads have to be done with head thickness which is very limiting. I couldn't get on with a snare drum like that. Toms? Maybe. But not the snare or the bass drum. In my mind one tuning adjustment for both heads is a dealbreaker for me. I like big differences on all my drums.
I would think it would be better to have the same heads on both sides of the drums to get a better overall tuning

johnhavart

Sleishman drums have a lug/free floating system where both heads are tightened simultaneously. I haven’t seen one in person yet but it’s a pretty interesting looking system
[/QUOTE
It is but maybe using any tuning device might be reconsidered

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
It would be interesting to compare the readings from both sides of the drum and from lug to lug on the same side to see if it consistent with itself.