How can i get to this?

Bradastronaut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2Z2CUTVc
The fill at 3:03 or so...
simple, short. but DAMN, ive never seen anyone raise their sticks that high, getting so much power, while playing at like 220bpm.
Stupid question i know, but i nearly specificaly listen to this style of music, and just wanna get to that point where i can play these insanely fast speeds with power, with ease, staying loose, and not tiring after half an hour.
Right now i have only been on my practice routine for about a month or two, but i can only play these beats at 180bpm for about two minutes, and my hands are getting all stiff and fumbling during fills. At around 160 bpm i have no problem, i can play along to bad religions "suffer" all the way through, getting plenty of power in my hits and hardly making a single mistake. But this is something else...
Any excersizes? playing on a pillow? specific wrist/finger techniques. Im trying to avoid moeller/push pull techniques while playing this stuff because i when even, consistent, and powerfull sounds during filling if that makes sense, plus when im playing my hi hats open i find the push pull technique realy doesnt sound good.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
There's really nothing to study- this is action music. Just get in a punk band and play a lot- learn how to survive the night, and pick your spots. I'm sure that's all the guy in the video did.

Bradastronaut

Yeah i do like playing this stuff, its the reason i bought a pair of sticks in the first place ;)
Since i havent got a band to play in at the moment, i guess i can just set my metronome to a high number and play these beats for as long as i can as powerfully as i can and see how i progress from there huh ?

brittc89

Pioneer Member
Yeah i do like playing this stuff, its the reason i bought a pair of sticks in the first place ;)
Since i havent got a band to play in at the moment, i guess i can just set my metronome to a high number and play these beats for as long as i can as powerfully as i can and see how i progress from there huh ?
Play along to your favorite music. I used to do that so much. So much Tool back in the day, haha. But thats what I would suggest. Start with something slower, and build it up, you want strong time to be able to pull something like this off. Id also just work on your technique, single strokes especially, and get your hands really really moving. You want what is called ceiling room, where you still have somewhere to go even when youre playing really fast. You could always go faster. So you can sound relaxed playing at high tempos because you arent maxing out. So just SHED! Thats what I say, practice practice practice.

Bradastronaut

Just had a practice session playing along to some bad religion tunes (moderate tempo), under your advice britt! Gonna just play along to a different song everyday on top of my routine i reckon. I like the ceiling idea a lot! Being able to play up to 240bpm is gonna be tough, is it even possible! ive never seen or heard anything played up to a tempo like that i dont think D:

brentcn

Platinum Member
Right now i have only been on my practice routine for about a month or two, but i can only play these beats at 180bpm for about two minutes, and my hands are getting all stiff and fumbling during fills.
There are quite a few drills and exercises out there for speed and control. Speed and power like the video you posted is not ONE technique, it is the learning of MANY good techniques, and then being able to choose which one will best accomplish the task.

To quote Tommy Igoe from his "Great Hands..." DVD: you're not "playing drums", you're BOUNCING the sticks. Practice Moeller, finger control, wrist strokes, free strokes, and so on, on a pad and on your snare, and use a mirror. Practice single stroke "sprints" in between periods of moderate speed, and also practice long runs where you play for some minutes (with solid technique) near your top speed.

Also, it does help to play a surface with plenty of rebound, so tune up your snare a bit.

I'll echo TB, too: the drummer in that video didn't just practice lots, he rehearsed, played every gig he could, toured, recorded, and probably received training in marching band, too. You don't "get to this" by just playing exercises...

diegobxr

Silver Member
That guy from Lagwagon is a hell of a drummer.

Punkrock drummers in general are VERY underrated.

I knew this band from Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, haha. That song, "May 16", has some mind-blowing fills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzYOA4-xNaA

About the question.. well, IDK, practice, practice and more practice I guess. :)

Cheers.

Bradastronaut

There are quite a few drills and exercises out there for speed and control. Speed and power like the video you posted is not ONE technique, it is the learning of MANY good techniques, and then being able to choose which one will best accomplish the task.

To quote Tommy Igoe from his "Great Hands..." DVD: you're not "playing drums", you're BOUNCING the sticks. Practice Moeller, finger control, wrist strokes, free strokes, and so on, on a pad and on your snare, and use a mirror. Practice single stroke "sprints" in between periods of moderate speed, and also practice long runs where you play for some minutes (with solid technique) near your top speed.

Also, it does help to play a surface with plenty of rebound, so tune up your snare a bit.

I'll echo TB, too: the drummer in that video didn't just practice lots, he rehearsed, played every gig he could, toured, recorded, and probably received training in marching band, too. You don't "get to this" by just playing exercises...
Great advice, thanks!
My snare is tuned tiiiiiiight, like a realy high popping sound tight, the kind found in ska/reggae music, i can actualy hardly tell the difference between the feel of my snare and my vic firth real feel practice pad, I love the way it sounds.
May have to get a copy of "great hands for a lifetime", ive heard nothing but good stuff about that dvd.

And to diegobxr, the song may 16th is a different drummer to that video, may 16th is dave raun, he is amazing aswell! both VERY underrated drummers, with very distinct styles.