How are YOU doing YOUR Moeller technique?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
After a L – O – N – G break from drumming, I’m been back at it now for about 3.5 years. I’ve spent some good time using Jojo Mayer’s finger exercises for speed around the kit.

I’d like to use Moeller to get around the kit using triplets. I’ve been practicing it around 4 drums, 2 sets of triplets each, ending on the floor tom. My question is regarding the EACH of the 3 hits for this stroke.

I believe the 1st one is the Whip stroke / 2nd = Tap / 3rd = upstroke. Question: Is your 2nd and 3rd strokes PURE rebound or are the fingers helping after the whip motion?

I’ve seen drummers use pure rebound, while some let the fingers help out on the 2nd + 3rd bounce.
My fingers don’t seem coordinated enough yet to even help out when I start picking up speed.

Thanks as always.

dazzlez

I only use rebound when I'm using Moeller.

Sounds more like push and pull technique when you're using the fingers? very useful to get control over double strokes...

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I only use rebound when I'm using Moeller.

Sounds more like push and pull technique when you're using the fingers? very useful to get control over double strokes...
You're getting all 3 strokes in a triplet (per hand) with rebound? This was the most common I saw.

Arky

Platinum Member
This has helped me a lot and actually changed the way I'm playing Moeller/the whip and flop stroke. If you're playing groups of 3 there's no need for additional finger use for the rebounds. Groups of 4 are different though as the last stroke (or two strokes) would be too weak without some additional finger action.

http://www.drumworkout.com/workouts/moeller-3s/

The above link is from Bill Bachman's new DrumWorkout.com. Great site, I've been using it as a beta tester first and now as a subscriber. (Also started to apply many of those rudiments/patterns/exercises to my feet but that tends to be harder than hands.)

cornelius

Silver Member
I really don't use finger technique with Moeller Stroke - with that said, it's always best to get the Freestroke down first, before going on to Moeller. Rebound is important, so you really want to ingrain that feeling of the sticks easily coming back for that next stroke. For Triplets it's Downstroke/Tap/Upstroke - the Tap/Upstroke are controlled bounces. With the Up you're stealing that stroke by raising your wrist and dropping the stick.

Same thing with 4 or 5 notes sequences...

Anduin

Pioneer Member
I definitely use fingers. One of my exercises for practicing Moeller is to play constant 16th notes (basically as ghost notes) on the snare with finger technique, and then use the Moeller whipping motion to add accents anywhere within the constant stream. (I go through stuff like parts of Syncopation reading the rests as ghosts and the written notes as accents.)

I guess relying on rebound is fine if you’re just doing triplets, but I figure I’m pretty likely to want more than 2 ghost notes after an accent, so I just work the fingers all the time.

But also, I was introduced to finger technique quite early in my learning, so I’ve already spent a lot of time developing it. Meaning that, for me, using fingers is kind of a subconscious default for almost everything.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
This has helped me a lot and actually changed the way I'm playing Moeller/the whip and flop stroke. If you're playing groups of 3 there's no need for additional finger use for the rebounds. Groups of 4 are different though as the last stroke (or two strokes) would be too weak without some additional finger action.

http://www.drumworkout.com/workouts/moeller-3s/

The above link is from Bill Bachman's new DrumWorkout.com. Great site, I've been using it as a beta tester first and now as a subscriber. (Also started to apply many of those rudiments/patterns/exercises to my feet but that tends to be harder than hands.)
Thanks Arky! I was only able to view a few minutes before I had to go to work.
I tried to revisit it, but couldn't access the video again. Do you know how to review it again?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I really don't use finger technique with Moeller Stroke - with that said, it's always best to get the Freestroke down first, before going on to Moeller. Rebound is important, so you really want to ingrain that feeling of the sticks easily coming back for that next stroke. For Triplets it's Downstroke/Tap/Upstroke - the Tap/Upstroke are controlled bounces. With the Up you're stealing that stroke by raising your wrist and dropping the stick.

Same thing with 4 or 5 notes sequences...
Thanks cornelius. That explanation made a lot of sense. I think I'm sticking at the Upstroke.

Arky

Platinum Member
Thanks Arky! I was only able to view a few minutes before I had to go to work.
I tried to revisit it, but couldn't access the video again. Do you know how to review it again?
It's a freebie video series. It should be accessible all the time. Maybe try clearing your cache? Or try tomorrow... It should work!
Once you've practiced along to those vids a few times you'll never approach Moeller the same way as before - that's my prediction!

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I definitely use fingers. One of my exercises for practicing Moeller is to play constant 16th notes (basically as ghost notes) on the snare with finger technique, and then use the Moeller whipping motion to add accents anywhere within the constant stream. (I go through stuff like parts of Syncopation reading the rests as ghosts and the written notes as accents.)

I guess relying on rebound is fine if you’re just doing triplets, but I figure I’m pretty likely to want more than 2 ghost notes after an accent, so I just work the fingers all the time.

But also, I was introduced to finger technique quite early in my learning, so I’ve already spent a lot of time developing it. Meaning that, for me, using fingers is kind of a subconscious default for almost everything.
That sounds like me where I've spent a good time (never enough though) working on finger technique. It became a subconscious part of my moeller learning, as I'm still trying to work them in OR just go with controlled bounces.