How are you cleaning and protecting your COB or metal snares?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I was reading a post about pitting on some metal snares and was wondering what you all clean your COB or metal snares with?

I heard not to use "Windex" and someone mentioned some car care products, but not sure if those are too harsh.

I have a DW Edge snare and a Stewart Copeland COB. I have Trick drum polish that claims to be safe on all chrome, hardware and drum finishes. I also store the drums in their boxes when not used. The humidity in the house and Southern California is not an issue.

What cleaners or protectors do you all use?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I've been using Pledge Wipes. They seem to work well, and never leave streaks.

I've used the Trick stuff, & Crazy Johns guitar polish in the past too. Those work nicely.

My snares are just on a shelf. I mainly just need to dust them, and I use one of those Damp Rid hanging things in that area in case it does get humid.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wax my drums with an automotive paste wax like Kit when I am feeling in that mood. Otherwise I don't touch them except to dust them off and play them. I usually wax drums when I first get them, new or used. I really don't clean my snare drums because you can't see them behind the kit. I'd rather play them than clean them. I will keep all my drums lubed when I do a full head change though.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
COB doesn't pit.

Pitting is caused by an adverse reaction in the bonding process between chrome and aluminium. In the case of Ludwig Supra's it's an issue that has supposedly been fixed.

Most of my snares are metal. I don't do anything to them other than keep them free of dust and housed in cases when they're not being used. The only pitted drum I own is a '65 400. No pitting (or any other) issues with any of my other metal snares. Don't turn yourself inside out over this one mate.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I have a nickel over brass snare that get's the dust and fingerprints wiped off of it with a damp micro-fiber cloth I got from the optometrist's office and some lens cleaner.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
COB doesn't pit.

Pitting is caused by an adverse reaction in the bonding process between chrome and aluminium. In the case of Ludwig Supra's it's an issue that has supposedly been fixed.

Most of my snares are metal. I don't do anything to them other than keep them free of dust and housed in cases when they're not being used. The only pitted drum I own is a '65 400. No pitting (or any other) issues with any of my other metal snares. Don't turn yourself inside out over this one mate.
That's good advice...

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
I was playing a Pearl Brass Free Floating snare back in the 80's.
I got tired of polishing it(extremely sensitive to fingerprints) and got hold of a spray can of laquer and coated the damn thing.
Didn't change the sound and fixed the problem.

thx

jorn