How are these toms tuned?

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Someone just sent me a new video of Dave Lombardo doing a little solo (here), and as ever I really like the sound of his toms...they have a wide-open quality to them that's quite unusual in hard rock, and certainly in extreme metal. However, I can't seem to get that sound using my usual Bonham-style tuning method (resos higher than batters, either a third or a fourth higher), and it makes me wonder what he's doing. Does anyone have any ideas?

WhoIsTony?

they sound pretty much how Daves toms always sound

when he visited MI for a couple days for a clinic and classes while I was studying there back in the late 90s I asked him about something I read in an interview with him in MD mag....and he confirmed that it was indeed true

that he tunes his toms....reso head tight to a pitch...nothing particular....and his batter head JAW

he even said that some of the time he tunes his batter heads as tight as he can with his fingers and not a key at all

Stroman

Platinum Member
I think his batter heads are quite a bit more than a fourth lower than the resos. I teched for a drummer who preferred that type of tuning, but he used black Pinstripes as batters so the drums sounded even more "wet." Works very well for close micing.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
they sound pretty much how Daves toms always sound

when he visited MI for a couple days for a clinic and classes while I was studying there back in the late 90s I asked him about something I read in an interview with him in MD mag....and he confirmed that it was indeed true

that he tunes his toms....reso head tight to a pitch...nothing particular....and his batter head JAW

he even said that some of the time he tunes his batter heads as tight as he can with his fingers and not a key at all
That's perfect, thank you! That's sort of what I had suspected actually. The floor tom head looks very wrinkly whenever he hits it but not the rest of the time.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Interesting.

I saw Bobby Jarzombek last night with Fates warning, and Bobby's DW kit didn't sound like a typical DW kit. After reading this, I suspect he was doing something similar to this description.

Thanks!