How are CS black dots on toms for a big rock sound?

I don't often buy Remo heads, but when I do, I buy CS Black Dots. True story. Peace and goodwill.

I haven't played black dot heads in a long time but, I mean, they're what John Bonham and Keith Moon used in the 70s, and those guys did fairly okay with big rock sounds.
I thought Keith Moon used the Premier equivalent, the donut ones, later in his career.
I find tuned high they will not be very deep sounding; but blends well with Rototoms. Maybe I should try them tuned low.

Black dots are the only remo heads I like. If their coating didn't suck, frequency of duds so high, and prices that rise as quality drops... I may consider switching back to remo from Evans.

I've switched back and forth from pins to dots. Currently I rock the dots and they tune up easily and give me a nice sound on my 12, 13 and 16 toms. I back them up with ebony ambassador resos. A little tighter tuning on the ebs.

I play rock 'n roll mainly.

I've never tried black dots on toms, but I put one on a snare drum many years ago. I didn't care for it. The dot seemed to deduct from the snare's crispness, which wouldn't be much of an issue on toms, of course. Regardless, I prefer coated batter heads on toms, basses, and snares, so I've no intention of experimenting with dots again.

Oh that's funny - I had the exact opposite feeling. I thought the coated CS heads were extra crispy compared to a standard coated head: In fact that's probably the one Remo head I'd consider using regularly.

Oh that's funny - I had the exact opposite feeling. I thought the coated CS heads were extra crispy compared to a standard coated head: In fact that's probably the one Remo head I'd consider using regularly.

Something about the extra mass of the dot seemed to dull the sound to me. It also altered, albeit slightly, the feel of the stick, which could have influenced my perception of sound. This was many years ago, so my memory of the experience is a little hazy. I just remember not being pleased with the Black Dot overall. In any case, I've tried various snare heads and have concluded that coated is only surface for me.

Last edited:
I use a reverse dot head on a lot on my snares, and I've noticed on some drums it makes the stick sound a little clunky, and on others a little more crisp.

i like aquarians version on my toms, and sometimes i use them as reso heads as well. they sound lively yet have some focus to them due to the dots :)

How do you describe the difference between an one ply head and an one ply head with dot on the reso side?
Seen i lot of heads with dots on the reso side in the late 70's and 80's and can't phantom the sound difference haha

Back