Hoops...

Squirrel Man

So the Decade kit I got a while back, the hoops on it were awful. The 12 inch tom hoop was so bad it didn't fit on the shell and the head needed pried out of it. All but two hoops were bent or mis-figured. 1.6mm hoops on this kit.

So I went back to Sweetwater and they had Pearl send me replacement hoops. Pearl stated that they wouldn't "upgrade" them to thicker hoops so they sent me all new 1.6mm hoops - and half of them were dented or warped.

Nice.. this is my 4th Pearl kit new and their reputation dropped a lot with me.

So I dropped another buck fiddy on 2.3mm hoops which came in today and I spent the last 4 hours swapping them out. New hoops are great, one had a ding in it but drum factory direct is sending me a replacement. The hoops on my Roadshow kit which I'm keeping are 1.3mm so I sorted through the 1.6mm Pearl hoops that I have a bunch of for the best looking ones and mounted them on the Roadshow, why not.

Something to consider if you're upgrading. I would have looked at other drum lines knowing what I know now.

Last edited:

TK-421

I’ll be honest, I’m not a big fan of Pearl. Their high end kits are nice (as are everyone’s), but their midrange and lower kits are pretty crap, as you’re finding out. And I just don’t like thin 1.3/1.6mm hoops at all. I have die cast hoops on my kits, so I’m a little biased toward thicker hoops.

But the fact that even your replacement hoops from Pearl were warped is just extra unacceptable. I’m glad you decided to upgrade to 2.3mm hoops, but it’s a shame you had to. IMO, 1.6mm or thinner hoops should only be reserved for the cheapest, budget entry-level kits. Anything more expensive than that should have 2.3mm or greater as default.

And don’t even get me started on the 6 lugs per side on the floor toms!

C.M. Jones

As everyone here knows by now, I'm an unapparelled Pearl fan and am floored that your factory hoops arrived in unusable condition. I've played Pearl for a very long time and have never received a single Pearl product that has had the slightest defect or blemish. I'd like to know how Pearl dropped the ball in this case.

I agree that 1.6 mm hoops would leave much to be desired, as would a six-lug floor tom, but Pearl doesn't apply those specs to kits beyond the Decade Maple. Almost every Pearl kit I've owned, including my current Session Studio Select, has come standard with 2.3mm hoops and an eight-lug floor tom.

Your Decade Maple kit should sound great with the new hoops. Good luck.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm not a big fan of 1.6mm hoops in general, but anything that cannot maintain structural integrity through the shipping process is an issue for sure.

My own past experiences with 1.6mm hoops on toms always left me feeling like the tone of the drum wasn't stable enough. When comparing the same drum with heavier hoop it is true the thinner hoops led to a sound that was more lively, but it was mostly unfocused, wild overtones, not more fundamental tone.

I have S-Hoops on the batter side of all of my toms and I really like them because they're a lot more rigid (like a die cast) but they don't seem to be the overtone killer that die casts can be on some drums.

C.M. Jones

I'm not a big fan of 1.6mm hoops in general, but anything that cannot maintain structural integrity through the shipping process is an issue for sure.

My own past experiences with 1.6mm hoops on toms always left me feeling like the tone of the drum wasn't stable enough. When comparing the same drum with heavier hoop it is true the thinner hoops led to a sound that was more lively, but it was mostly unfocused, wild overtones, not more fundamental tone.

I have S-Hoops on the batter side of all of my toms and I really like them because they're a lot more rigid (like a die cast) but they don't seem to be the overtone killer that die casts can be on some drums.
My Session Studio kit came with Pearl's SuperHoops (2.3mm), which I like more than diecast for the reasons you outline. The use of diecast hoops can have extreme consequences. It's always a matter of taste, however.

Squirrel Man

The 6 lug floor tom.. I'm neither here nor there on it right now.

But here's something odd, so I ordered a 14 inch rack tom. Same drum finish, looks identical to the others. The 10, 12 and 16 floor tom all have 6 lugs, the 14 inch rack tom - 8 lugs.

C.M. Jones

The 6 lug floor tom.. I'm neither here nor there on it right now.

But here's something odd, so I ordered a 14 inch rack tom. Same drum finish, looks identical to the others. The 10, 12 and 16 floor tom all have 6 lugs, the 14 inch rack tom - 8 lugs.
I've never owned a 14" rack tom (12" is the only size I ever use), but I have heard of rack toms that have more lugs than floor toms of the same diameter. I can't confirm the reasoning behind the difference, but I'd presume it's related to the potential desire for a broader tuning range with rack toms. In any case, I'm sure it's deliberate rather than erroneous.

Squirrel Man

I've never owned a 14" rack tom (12" is the only size I ever use), but I have heard of rack toms that have more lugs than floor toms of the same diameter. I can't confirm the reasoning behind the difference, but I'd presume it's related to the potential desire for a broader tuning range with rack toms. In any case, I'm sure it's deliberate rather than erroneous.
I was wondering the same thing.

Kind of caught me off guard since I ordered all the replacement hoops including the 14 inch tom figuring it would be a 6 lug like the rest of them.

TK-421

As everyone here knows by now, I'm an unapparelled Pearl fan
I knew you liked Pearl, but I didn’t know you also liked to run around naked.

And since apparently everyone here knows by now (except me), I can only assume you‘re posting naked pictures of yourself somewhere on this site. Interesting. I didn’t know the mods would let you do that.

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

I knew you liked Pearl, but I didn’t know you also liked to run around naked.

And since apparently everyone here knows by now (except me), I can only assume you‘re posting naked pictures of yourself somewhere on this site. Interesting. I didn’t know the mods would let you do that.
Ha! Excellent catch. A typo to be sure, but, upon closer inspection, "unapparelled" seems the better fit (pun intended). Until you've experienced life unapparelled, I entreat you to withhold snap judgments. I can shun all fashion trends, as I own no garments, and I save incalculable time and money by negating laundry. Attire is a perpetual burden, a hollow byproduct of a culture committed to frivolity. Unapparelled is the only way for the man of distinction to roll.

Last edited:

Scottie15

So the Decade kit I got a while back, the hoops on it were awful. The 12 inch tom hoop was so bad it didn't fit on the shell and the head needed pried out of it. All but two hoops were bent or mis-figured. 1.6mm hoops on this kit.

So I went back to Sweetwater and they had Pearl send me replacement hoops. Pearl stated that they wouldn't "upgrade" them to thicker hoops so they sent me all new 1.6mm hoops - and half of them were dented or warped.

Nice.. this is my 4th Pearl kit new and their reputation dropped a lot with me.

So I dropped another buck fiddy on 2.3mm hoops which came in today and I spent the last 4 hours swapping them out. New hoops are great, one had a ding in it but drum factory direct is sending me a replacement. The hoops on my Roadshow kit which I'm keeping are 1.3mm so I sorted through the 1.6mm Pearl hoops that I have a bunch of for the best looking ones and mounted them on the Roadshow, why not.

Something to consider if you're upgrading. I would have looked at other drum lines knowing what I know now.

Define what you mean by "one had a ding in it"?

The reason is ask is that I've ordered a few parts from drumfactorydirect and while they seem to have everything, I noticed some of their parts come with scratches and nicks.

Ransan

Ah that sucks. I have had only one issue and that was with the direct drive pedal that was new from the factory. Swapping was easy enough just a set back of a couple of days.

Maybe that’s why the die cast rims didn’t come on my kit though when I purchased from GC, I asked for that upgrade and paid, from the balance, I have a huge credit with them.

I’ll be honest, I’m not a big fan of Pearl. Their high end kits are nice (as are everyone’s), but their midrange and lower kits are pretty crap, as you’re finding out. And I just don’t like thin 1.3/1.6mm hoops at all. I have die cast hoops on my kits, so I’m a little biased toward thicker hoops.

But the fact that even your replacement hoops from Pearl were warped is just extra unacceptable. I’m glad you decided to upgrade to 2.3mm hoops, but it’s a shame you had to. IMO, 1.6mm or thinner hoops should only be reserved for the cheapest, budget entry-level kits. Anything more expensive than that should have 2.3mm or greater as default.

And don’t even get me started on the 6 lugs per side on the floor toms!
Hi TK -
Im with you on the die cast bias, just caps on the drum for added focus and holds tune, also agreed on the damaged goods. Maybe not from factory but handling from postal.

My Session studio select I would consider mid range, and it’s got masters grade shells and hardware.
As far as the luggage - my kit, the 8” has 5 lugs 10”-13” have 6 lugs, my 14” and 16” floor toms have 8” lugs 22” bd has 10 lugs.
When should we expect you in the family?

C.M. Jones

Ah that sucks. I have had only one issue and that was with the direct drive pedal that was new from the factory. Swapping was easy enough just a set back of a couple of days.

Maybe that’s why the die cast rims didn’t come on my kit though when I purchased from GC, I asked for that upgrade and paid, from the balance, I have a huge credit with them.

Hi TK -
Im with you on the die cast bias, just caps on the drum for added focus and holds tune, also agreed on the damaged goods. Maybe not from factory but handling from postal.

My Session studio select I would consider mid range, and it’s got masters grade shells and hardware.
As far as the luggage - my kit, the 8” has 5 lugs 10”-13” have 6 lugs, my 14” and 16” floor toms have 8” lugs 22” bd has 10 lugs.
In comparing my current Session Studio Select kit to the previous Masters kits I've owned, I'd say the construction and hardware are quite similar. It all comes down to the shells you prefer -- the maple of the Masters or the birch/African mahogany of the Sessions. I prefer the second species, which is why I went the Session Studio route this time around.

As for the range or level of kits, the Session is professional grade in every facet. Pearl even markets the series as a professional line. It's not a custom-ordered Masterworks, but nothing else is. There's no limit to what you can spend on those kits. Some are the equivalent of small mortgages.

TK-421

Hi TK -

I consider Pearl Session series to be pro or near pro. And like I said, I don’t have a problem with their higher end lines. Just their mid to lower end drums.

My first experience with Pearl was in the mid 90s. I was at college and my kit was back home. I needed to borrow a kit for a gig, so one of the guys in the drum line lent me his brand new Export kit. I remember how cheap they felt and sounded. They were almost like toys to me, and I was instantly turned off by the brand.

Two and a half decades later, I still don’t hold a high opinion of the brand—you know that whole thing with first impressions and all. But I go to their booth at NAMM every year, and I have to admit, some of their higher end drums do sound pretty nice. Not a fan of their L arms though, and that will likely never change. So that combined with my initial impression will likely keep me from ever owning a Pearl. Plus, I’m very happy with my Gretsch kits, and I don’t see that ever changing.

Squirrel Man

Define what you mean by "one had a ding in it"?

The reason is ask is that I've ordered a few parts from drumfactorydirect and while they seem to have everything, I noticed some of their parts come with scratches and nicks.
It's noticeable to the eye and when you run your thumb across the perimeter you can feel it.

And some hoops including the replacement hoops from Pearl have tiny nicks in them sometimes, really minor. That didn't bother me as much as the warping, figured nicks are from machining or something.

Scottie15

It's noticeable to the eye and when you run your thumb across the perimeter you can feel it.

And some hoops including the replacement hoops from Pearl have tiny nicks in them sometimes, really minor. That didn't bother me as much as the warping, figured nicks are from machining or something.

Interesting. Was that enough of a reason to send it back?

I ordered a free floating chassis from them. It was a bit nicked on the bearing edge. Not sure if it's something I should send back

Squirrel Man

Interesting. Was that enough of a reason to send it back?

I ordered a free floating chassis from them. It was a bit nicked on the bearing edge. Not sure if it's something I should send back
I think so.

Take a pic of it and email it to them, if they replace it why not? I'm not sure what a "bit nicked" means also.