"Hoop Crasher" from Jojo Mayer/Sabian. Thoughts?

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
My local Long and MacQuade music store has one of these neat little gizmos in stock so I got to mess around with it a bit. Does anyone own one or at least played one yet? I think it's a bit expensive considering it's limitations but perhaps I'm too narrow-minded. (It costs $215.00 CAD. To put that in perspective, my Sand Ride was $275.)

Thoughts?

-Jonathan

porter

Platinum Member
They are too expensive definitely. I think it's cool but a limited application product. Dream's Crop Circle (a ripoff of the hoop crasher) is a similar product for a price of USD $50. Might be a less risky choice.

koalasutra

I bought the hoop crasher off someone who won it at a clinic. It's cool, but doesn't just "drop-in" if you've got die cast hoops like mine (where there's a lip on the inside at the top). So I have to take my hoop off to fit it! Then it fits fine, with room to move, but I can't just whip it off to play some x-stick or rim shots. I've been trying to find hoops as good as mine without this lip on the inside (outside would be fine). No luck yet :'(

cky42091

I thought about getting one of these for an electronic music project. Price aside, there honestly isn't much you can do with it. I played one at the store and it was fun for about 15 minutes. Could maybe utilize it on 1 or 2 songs.
Not worth it imho

paistepower92

I bought the hoop crasher off someone who won it at a clinic. It's cool, but doesn't just "drop-in" if you've got die cast hoops like mine (where there's a lip on the inside at the top). So I have to take my hoop off to fit it! Then it fits fine, with room to move, but I can't just whip it off to play some x-stick or rim shots. I've been trying to find hoops as good as mine without this lip on the inside (outside would be fine). No luck yet :'(
As far as your hoop situation, I'd try these out.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_7_652

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_7_650

Quite expensive, but what jojo does with it when i saw him at a recent clinic is very cool! Allows you to emulate kind of electron snare sounds!

They are too expensive definitely. I think it's cool but a limited application product. Dream's Crop Circle (a ripoff of the hoop crasher) is a similar product for a price of USD $50. Might be a less risky choice.
Yeah id agree, its a bit much for a "fun" cymbal so to speak.. the other one mentoned is probably a good bet!