Hooking up two Roland modules via midi in/out and using the individual outs

SunRises

Hey! First post here :) I currently own a Roland TD 15 module and was looking at getting a used TD 10 module at a steal of a deal here. The TD 15 only has stereo out and the TD 10 has individual outs, or at least stereo pairs for all pads. Is it possible to connect the TD 15 to the midi in of the TD 10, and essentially hear the sounds of the TD 15 coming out of the TD 10 and then get those sounds to come out of the individual outs of the TD 10? I feel like this is a long shot, but, my experience with e drums is limited so maybe someone here knows if it can be done, or a work around that could make it happen.

Is it possible to connect the TD 15 to the midi in of the TD 10, and essentially hear the sounds of the TD 15 coming out of the TD 10...

Nope. MIDI is not "sounds" - MIDI is data. There will be no sounds travelling along to the TD10.

TD15-->MIDI-->TD10 will allow you (within Roland's limited MIDI implementation) to hit a pad wired to the TD15 and have - by the wonders of MIDI - a sound played from the TD10's tone generator.

As an aside - what's the aim with regard the individual outs?

Thanks for the reply. My aim was to send multiple outs to my mixer/interface for recording and mixing the volume of individual drums and cymbals and not be limited to just a stereo recording of my performance. I’ve tried VSTs (Steven Slate 5) which will allow me to do this. But it doesn’t sound the same to me as what I hear in the TD 15. There’s a slight latency issue which makes the “feel” of playing not very enjoyable for me with VSTs.

Thanks for the reply. My aim was to send multiple outs to my mixer/interface for recording and mixing the volume of individual drums and cymbals and not be limited to just a stereo recording of my performance.

Right - so here's the way to do it :)

----

Here's the "best" and most flexible way to record edrums
  1. Module --> MIDI data --> Software (DAW/Sequencer/whatever the cool kids are calling it these days. I mostly use Cakewalk/Sonar - www.cakewalk.com - which is now free.)

2. Split MIDI data to individual tracks in DAW if you want individual control of all drums / cymbals - usually a simple button push in your software

3. Tidy up MIDI data as necessary, remove duff notes, change tempo, etc

4. Send MIDI back to module, whilst recording the audio from the module - this can be done track-by-track, or the whole lot at once, depending on the number of audio tracks you want - every instrument, just a stereo mix-down, or anything in between.
So, now you've got both audio and MIDI. This is most flexible, meaning you can adjust anything in future. Change tempo or instruments or sounds/entire kit, just re-do [3]-[4]

[*] or to your chosen software synth/VST/whatever the cool kids etc...

1616692907894.png

Right - so here's the way to do it :)

----

Here's the "best" and most flexible way to record edrums
  1. Module --> MIDI data --> Software (DAW/Sequencer/whatever the cool kids are calling it these days. I mostly use Cakewalk/Sonar - www.cakewalk.com - which is now free.)

2. Split MIDI data to individual tracks in DAW if you want individual control of all drums / cymbals - usually a simple button push in your software

3. Tidy up MIDI data as necessary, remove duff notes, change tempo, etc

4. Send MIDI back to module, whilst recording the audio from the module - this can be done track-by-track, or the whole lot at once, depending on the number of audio tracks you want - every instrument, just a stereo mix-down, or anything in between.
So, now you've got both audio and MIDI. This is most flexible, meaning you can adjust anything in future. Change tempo or instruments or sounds/entire kit, just re-do [3]-[4]

[*] or to your chosen software synth/VST/whatever the cool kids etc...

View attachment 102705
I never thought about sending the midi back to the module to record (individual tracks) I also have SSD but I have no latency issues... my only issue is I like the ride better on the Roland Module than on SSD, and perhaps the China as well, for the bass drum I would just blend a set from SSD and the Roland sample to add extra punchiness. Well sir, you just inspired me to do that.. My original idea was to record the multitrack with SSD, then add the tracks for the things I want to replace (ride and china) and an extra track for the bass drum which is not going to be replaced. then mute the SSD tracks being replaced and just play and re-record those parts alone. But, sending the MIDI data back basically keeps the original performance 100% intact, and I can just replay- re-record those 3 tracks... Genius!

Back