Homemade Studio Rings

DrewTheShoe

I have recently bought some new snare heads (Coated Amb, Snare Side Amb, absolutely love it), and I tuned em up nice for me (nice fat and wet, slapping the snares) but I have a tad bit of undesired overtones.

I have my old trusty Tama stock head that I plan on using...never, since the coatings already off after about a month and a half, and I'm saving up for some new hats, so any money spared is well worth it.

I've heard people making homemade Richie/O/Studio Rings out of old heads, so I figure I might as well try.
I only have one shot at this, so I'm trying to make it right.

My question is: How exactly do I do it?

Also: If the entire ring muffles it too much, then I think I'm just going to cut it up some more and place only some of it on.
I read somewhere on here of a guy doing it and loving it, so if you know how to do it then any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I tried it once.

Guess it depends. Are you planning on using the one head to make rings for all your drums? Or just for one of your drums.

Take it and put it on something you don't mind hacking up a little, (chopping board or something) and cut out around the edge with a stanley knife. You might get something about an inch or two smaller than the head, put it on the head and draw around it with a pencil (i'd suggest a small bucket or something). then you've got a line to cut along.

Make it thicker than you want to start with, you can always cut it down. Otherwise try Moongel or a little bit of gaffer.

Back