Homemade Beater

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I decided to make a tennis ball beater. I took an old wood beater that was laying around:

20220804_155312.jpg

There is a nut at the top. I removed it and took the wood ball off. I then stole a tennis ball from my kids dog Daisy, drilled two holes in it and attached it to the shaft:

20220804_155334.jpg

I like it. It's a bit wild to control. First its heavier than the wood ball, so it hits the head with more momentum. This makes a much bigger boom. It also comes back faster.

Being felt its attack is slightly quieter. Being a tennis ball its bouncy and likes to flutter. Being that it was Daisy's tennis ball, there was an unforeseen side effect:

I'm gonna keep it on there for a while and see. I've used it two days now and I like it so far, but that might change if I cant control it any better.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Daisy figures that, if you can mash on it, she can chew on it.

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Unique ideas like that are what sets you on a journey young man. In 5 years your famous being interviewed by Drumhead magazine remembering your first Penn beater.

Last edited:

morguis

I decided to make a tennis ball beater. I took an old wood beater that was laying around:

View attachment 122800

There is a nut at the top. I removed it and took the wood ball off. I then stole a tennis ball from my kids dog Daisy, drilled two holes in it and attached it to the shaft:

View attachment 122801

I like it. It's a bit wild to control. First its heavier than the wood ball, so it hits the head with more momentum. This makes a much bigger boom. It also comes back faster.

Being felt its attack is slightly quieter. Being a tennis ball its bouncy and likes to flutter. Being that it was Daisy's tennis ball, there was an unforeseen side effect:

I'm gonna keep it on there for a while and see. I've used it two days now and I like it so far, but that might change if I cant control it any better.
I think Daisy will appreciate it (or rather, her teeth). Tennis balls are terrible for the tooth enamel of our beloved dogs. Honest advice from my vet.

Arkansmay

I like it, and I was literally about to try something like it. I have a big poofy soft Vater beater that is my favorite when Im not trying to be heard behind the band, I was thinking of something that bridges the gap between them.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I had to switch back to my Pearl beater yesterday. I cant control the tennis ball well enough. A ported reso might help, but it doesnt keep the ball itself from being bouncy.