Home vs gig

• Home

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • Gig

Votes: 50 82.0%

• Total voters

moojii

Hey

How many of you just play for fun at home and do recordings etc vs how many of you actually go out to gig.

Cheers

Reactions: RVC
I do all three! I’m a working drummer, though, meaning this is what I do for income. I’m working anywhere from 7-8 times in a slow month to 12-15 times in a busy month, with fairly regular recording sessions sprinkled in at various studios around town in my area.

My home setup is a quiet rig, mainly used due to close proximity to neighbors and a need to play late at night when Mrs. RVC and Abby the cat are asleep. It’s a fun little set, and helps me through the insomniac nights and the slow gig months.

Last edited:
Home is restricted to pad work although the furry purry one decides to invade my lap and that's the end of that. I'd never set a full kit up at home. I get on with my neighbours and I like it that way. Don't really want folk knowing they're there either.

I get the odd recording thing but gigging is what brings the money in.

Since I recently joined a band again, I play at home for practice but we are working towards gigs again, next one will be Whit Monday (y)

I have a small home studio with an electronic and acoustic kit setup ready to play.
I live in a detached house and never had complaints about the noise but usually play with RTOM mutes on the drums and silent Evans cymbals to keep the noise levels of the A kit low.

Last edited:
2 out of the 3.. don't consider sound files on Sound Cloud (thru a $13 Radio Shack table mic) , as "recording" (is but it isn't) But always ready to gig ( after a decent 2023 2024 is looking slow..) and try to play "at home" every day (little tough when weather in garage is chilly) and take note when I miss a day..

(should allow to choose both in your poll

Last edited:
2 out of the 3.. don't consider sound files on Sound Cloud (thru a $13 Radio Shack table mic) , as "recording" (is but it isn't) But always ready to gig ( after a decent 2023 2024 is looking slow..) and try to play "at home" every day (little tough when weather in garage is chilly) and take note when I miss a day..

(should allow to choose both in your poll
Try now.

Reactions: jda
I have no real place at home to play drums at the moment. I'm looking forward to devising some kind of studio either at home or nearby where I can do some sound isolation and play at most any hour, but that's a ways away. For now, I literally only get to play when I'm being paid to play.

I play at home pretty much every day in my main floor "studio" and I host bi-weekly (on average) band practices in my basement rehearsal space. Gretsch kit upstairs, DW kit downstairs.

I gig a little less than once per month on average at maybe one gig every 5 weeks, but then some months have 2-3 gigs so you never know. I think I would be content just playing at home, even if I never gigged.

Ever been in a band that demanded payment for PA equipment used in gigs?
There've been 2 I've passed on working with for that reason. You bought without my input, but want me to pay rental on your choices. Nah. They need a hired gun at a per show rate.
Give me the option to invest in my own gear that we use first. I'll buy a sub and bring a powered main, even cables, mics and processing stuff. It's mine when I leave.

Too much drum gear is moved out of the house, then out of the car, out of the gig, out of the car into the house. Sometimes at a marina it has to go onto and then off the boat, then onto and off the boat again on top of all the other moving. Too much physical work playing during the show for renting equipment to come out of the 100-150-200 bucks.

Both! A lot of people think you have to "pick a lane" between covers and originals, and you certainly don't have to.

I record/play original music at home and collaborate with others for the fun of it. Music (more passionately than covers) + Hang
I gig with a cover band, for the music and the money (and I get along with them as well). Music + Hang + Money.

I also have no real preference over either...

home is fun b/c I can drum to what I want, and work on stuff that entertains me more

gig is playing with others/audience reaction/social/non-musical challenges

I hardly ever play drums at home - I gig twice a week most weeks and only ever get on the practice (e) kit to learn a new song and that is rare....
This. Gigs most weekends, often both days. During the summer, I will have more than a few 3-day gig weekends...

I can't use an acoustic kit at home, so I have an e-kit which suits the need. I might play at home more with a proper kit, but then again, I might not, either.

I always have been in original bands since I started playing drums somewhere around 2002ish. I have an ekit at home and I enjoy playing it but it's hard for me because I don't get enjoyment out of playing covers. When I play at home it's usually just playing around for a few minutes or putting on drumless backing tracks that I play to. I also will work on band music if we have a recording session coming up or a song I haven't played in awhile. I actually am more prone to pull out my computer and program midi music at home then I am to actually play drums. I have just grown so used to weekly rehearsal and regular gigs being a part of my life for over twenty years. And no it's not a job, hell I almost never get paid at all. I've always had a day job.

Now that the baby is on the way I definitely will be playing at home much more often. Again, I have an ekit so I can play essentially silent. I'm playing my last gig tomorrow night before taking six or seven months off to help my wife during her last 9 weeks of pregnancy and to be present as a new father as well as focus on acclimating to my new way of life. I do fully intend on returning to gigs in the fall and my wife is extremely supportive of this but I definitely understand and respect the fact that for the next few years I definitely will not be able to gig or rehearse as frequently as I always did and I'm ok with that. I've done it so long that a little break will be good for me.

So yeah. I'll be playing much more often at home starting next week.

Back