Home studio drumming income

Sirwill

Silver Member
As a drummer of many decades and even professional gigs I'm evolving with the digital age. I'm interested in taking advantage of my small home studio and having musicians/bands send me music, then I will lay down a drum track to there music for a fee. I'm in need of how to market/connect myself to such musicians who may be in need of such a drummer? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated...

brentcn

Platinum Member
You can try the usual things: handing out business cards, promoting on social media. You'd want an audio and video demo, so that people can see what they're getting. But it's big name drummers who can get regular work like this, and even then, it's questionable that anyone is making a lot of money from it.

No offense to your home studio, but anyone who knows about drum sounds wants to have them recorded in a nice room, with nice mics, into a very nice console (Neve, API), with very nice AD converters (or even analog tape). People who are shopping for drum tracks usually want quality. If quality isn't so much a concern, then everyone has a small home studio, and the gear doesn't matter, and your studio doesn't really stand out.

Once in a while you'll find someone here who makes a post, looking for a session drummer on the cheap. Check back regularly, and if you find one, make an offer. Be prepared to send demos and examples of your session work, in the style the client desires. Know that there's a lot of drummers hanging out here, though. :)

Sirwill

Silver Member
Thank you for the solid info. I agree with the quality issues with any studio. As this is a work in progress...