home recording

as u can see in my pic. thats where i play my drums i have a wierd layout in my basement i play my drums in a corner and then theres a whole room in front of me and most everything the walls and floor are solid concrete what could i use to make this better for recording/playing would some of that mattress foam stuff work if so where do i put it?

That Guy

Platinum Member
There is no picture,,,,,,sorry

I think he might be talking about his avatar.

If I may make a suggestion, go find some egg crates. If you are low on cash, egg crates make a great barrier. Next, simple sheets of plywood can help to separate areas for recording. Add egg crates to those plywood walls. Section off your drums by the walls as if you had a plexiglass barrier. Now, do you have mic's?

Thats a start.

I think he might be talking about his avatar.

If I may make a suggestion, go find some egg crates. If you are low on cash, egg crates make a great barrier. Next, simple sheets of plywood can help to separate areas for recording. Add egg crates to those plywood walls. Section off your drums by the walls as if you had a plexiglass barrier. Now, do you have mic's?

Thats a start.

Egg cartons sound great and all but im worried about the flammable problem arent they very flammable i may use them but is there anything else i could use?

That Guy

Platinum Member
Egg cartons sound great and all but im worried about the flammable problem arent they very flammable i may use them but is there anything else i could use?

I'm not up to date on the flamability of sound proofing materials. You do live in a house, which if a fire starts, your screwed regardless. I think your couch would be more flamable than a wall of egg crates, but I'm no expert. I'm sure someone here will find a reason to tell me why my thoughts are wrong, so until then... thats what we have to work with.

When I interned at a radio station in south Florida, all of the emergency exits directed everyone away from the studios in the building. When I asked "what should we do if we are in the studio," they said jump out the window cuz we would have more of a chance of surviving then trying to run through the sound proofed walls and doors. Apparently the professional sound proofing materials that are used are extremely flamable.

I do know that layerd egg crates work well.

Thats my 2 cents.