Holy s***, I guess I’m a Paiste guy now!

Jml

So after having my Zildjian cymbals for a year, and trying out dozens of hi hats and finally deciding today in a store between Dream Bliss and Byzance Dark hats (which I liked), I saw and tried out some Giant Beats hats. It was all over after that. The weight, feel and sound of the hi hats were perfect to me. I traded in my Zildjians and got the 14” hats, 18” crash and will be getting a ride soon. I can’t say enough about them. I never thought I’d like Paiste because the 2002s seemed to have a high pitch to me, but these are darker and are loud enough for rock and light enough in weight for jazz. The Giant Beats can do everything and I think I’ve finally found MY cymbals. At least for the time being.... ; )

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So after having my Zildjian cymbals for a year, and trying out dozens of hi hats and finally deciding today in a store between Dream Bliss and Byzance Dark hats (which I liked), I saw and tried out some Giant Beats hats. It was all over after that. The weight, feel and sound of the hi hats were perfect to me. I traded in my Zildjians and got the 14” hats, 18” crash and will be getting a ride soon. I can’t say enough about them. I never thought I’d like Paiste because the 2002s seemed to have a high pitch to me, but these are darker and are loud enough for rock and light enough in weight for jazz. The Giant Beats can do everything and I think I’ve finally found MY cymbals. At least for the time being.... ; )
I also loved those Giant Beats when I tried them. But I’m still happy with my Zildjians. I’ll switch if I can afford the Traditionals ;)

taiko

I have a wonderful set of Zildjian K Constantinoples. They sound great. But every time I play my Paiste 602s, I feel like I'm home. There's just something about them that seems perfect to me.

jdavis

Wow, pretty close to my experience too. I've been using Zildjian As for about the last 20 years. Tried some Giant Beats a few years ago and they've kind of taken over. 15" hats, 20"c/r and 24" ride for me. Will prob add a 22" crash soon :)

FWIW, I sold most of the Zildjians but kept my 14" new beats - don't think I'll ever part with those. :)

taiko

I forgot to add that my Paiste 602 paper thin 18" crash, is the best crash I've ever heard. It's all subjective, but in the end for me Paiste sounds the best among many other fine instruments.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Don’t know why such a surprise! Paiste makes some great cymbals and a heck of a lot more than the 2002. Of course you knew that. However, the thing that seems ironic is putting the name Giant Beat with 14” hats and 18” crash. I don’t know why I find that so funny, but somehow it is.

Oh, congrats on finding your new sound by the way!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Paiste makes a lot of nice stuff.
I've tried a few of their series, some 2002's, 3000's, Sound Formulas, and Signatures,
but the only things I have from them now are a 24" Giant Beat,
and some mis-matched hat tops and bottoms - (I think....they're in storage).

After the novelty of different sounds, I still prefer most of my Zildjian stuff.

It's good you're happy with the Paiste stuff.
Depending on what kind of Zildjians you had, it might have also
been good to keep them rather than trading them in though -
you never know - ha ha.

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
I keep saying Giant Beats are the dark horse in the Paiste line.

Sound wise they have more Zildjian quality than Paiste

Jml

Yeah, I knew Paiste made some really good stuff. Just never had the opportunity to try out the Giant Beats. Usually the only Paiste stuff I found was 2002s or Alpha cymbals. I know some people love the 2002s but they’re just not my sound.

As for my Zils, the New Beats hi hats were the worst sounding cymbals I had. They’re definitely do-all hats, but to me, they sounded too metallic and clangy, especially when comparing them with some other hats. They were the newer version of the New Beats, so I tried some older versions that sounded better, but the GB still blew them away.

As for the ride, they didn’t have any GB in stock in the store, so I can order one, but I still have my Zil 21” Sweet Ride. Should I keep it? Would that mesh sonically with my GBs, considering they’re a different metal composition?

G

Ghostnote

Welcome to the Club, and congrats on finally coming to your senses ( just kidding...)

If you like the GB's, check out the 2002 Big Beats. I know you said you don't like 2002's, but the Big Beats are mellower, darker, and more complex sounding than regular 2002's. I would have a bunch of them, but they are even thinner than the GB'S, and I know from experience that a 2002 Crash is about as thin as I dare go with a B8 cymbal. Any thinner and I end up getting small dents in the edges.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Uhhh... Paiste... ugly!

Just kidding. :)

I guess everyone does feel more "at home" with certain cymbals. While I e.g. really enjoy playing my Sabian HHX Evolutions, the cymbals that feel "@home" to me most, are from Masterwork. They are so incredibly warm sounding... yummi. Maybe it will be different in five years, but since quite some time, those are my sound. Thus, enjoy your new cymbals that will complement your global drumsound.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Giant Beat's are great! I don't every really have a use for big, dark, washy cymbals, but if I ever did I'd probably go Giant Beat.

Currently I use 2002's and 900 Color Sounds.
The 900's are reserved for rock and loud playing situations. I use the 2002's for everything else.

Jml

Thanks for the info and comments, guys. Very happy with the Giant Beats. Any other recommendations for a ride (outside of the Giant Beats) that would go well with my other GB cymbals? I’ll look into other Paiste rides first, including the 2002s. The 24” GB ride has gotten great reviews, but I’m looking for something smaller, like 20-22”.

Lastly, does anyone else out there use GB cymbals with a Zil ride? I still have my 21” Sweet Ride....

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Sound wise they have more Zildjian quality than Paiste
I've heard them described as 'not unlike' vintage A's from the 50's, more than once. While it's far from an exact replication, I can certainly hear the characteristics that would prompt that line of thought.

The 24” GB ride has gotten great reviews, but I’m looking for something smaller, like 20-22”.
They make a 22": http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?category=12&family=7&action=category&menuid=403

And in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3whPFxhIQeI

Jml

Drumming sort of person and pocket full of gold,

Thanks for the videos. I was aware they have 20” and 22” cymbals. They are listed as “multi-functional” i.e. crash/rides. The only ones designated as pure rides are 24” and 26”. So I had some questions as to whether or not the 20 and 22 would really cut it as rides. They certainly crash well. It also concerned me that the drummer in the video indicated the 22 is loud and useful only for rock and gospel music. So not good enough for light music or jazz???

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

Thanks for the videos. I was aware they have 20” and 22” cymbals. They are listed as “multi-functional” i.e. crash/rides. The only ones designated as pure rides are 24” and 26”. So I had some questions as to whether or not the 20 and 22 would really cut it as rides. They certainly crash well. It also concerned me that the drummer in the video indicated the 22 is loud and useful only for rock and gospel music. So not good enough for light music or jazz???
So you have to get a 26" ride. Peter Erskine was using a 26" ride when he played with Stan Kenton. Billy Cobham also used a 26" Zildjian swish that was just awesome!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member

Don't get too bogged down in the marketing terminology. It was only several short decades ago that cymbals were neither "crashes" nor "rides". They were simply cymbals of a certain size that guys chose because they thought they'd best fit their application.

It's true that Giant Beats are a washy cymbal and that wash can get away from you if you're not careful. But some semblance of stick control should be enough to contain it.

Black Label

Congrats on your Giant Beats. I have an 18" crash too and it sits perfectly in any mix. I love how easily it opens up - you can hardly hear the actual initial stroke. They are incredible crashes.

I think for light/acoustic jazz they would cut it as rides and maybe for indie / vintage rock etc too. But for anything heavier / big bandish I think it will wash out and not have enough ping. If you're looking for a ride that will certainly cover all bases - in the Paiste line - look no further than either the 602 Modern Essentials ride - what a beast. And it will fit in perfectly with the 14" hats and 18" crash. Unless you play metal, I can just about assure you that it will blow you away.

Good luck and enjoy those GB's