Holy Moly... POPLAR???

drumtechdad

Gold Member
Wood is overrated. It's maybe 20% of a drum's sound. Ray Ayotte says it's only 15%. If you like the sound of your drums, then they sound good no matter what they're made from.

Do any of the major companies use 100% poplar on a kit?
The later Pearl Exports were. I believe the Forums are as well.

As I stated before, Pearl was advertising their Export drums as being made from 100% Poplar plies for a few years, but they've gone back to using the descriptive of "Select Hardwoods" now.
Pearl ceased production of Exports last year. They were replaced by Visions, which come in three types: all birch, all maple, and birch-poplar-birch.

Elvis

Silver Member
I'll try to figure how to post a picture of the Ludwigs.
There's a couple of ways you can post pictures in any forum that will allow you to do so.

When you post a message, scroll down and you'll see a "button", below the message box, that says "Manage Attachments".

This is a great way of posting pictures that are only in your computer.

It'll appear like how the picture appears in this post.

Elvis

Last edited:

Elvis

Silver Member
One can also use the "UBB code", by simply typing in the commands
, placing the URL of the picture between the two commands.

As long as that url ends in something like ".jpg" or ".gif", the picture will appear in the thread, where ever you place that command.

...like this...

...or here...

...or anywhere you want it to appear in the post...

This is a great way of placing pictures in a post, when you're trying to illustrate some kind of explanation of something.
If your own pictures are already online (such as, included in an online picture album, or, another forum's picture gallery), you can link them into a post using those commands, as well.
Just remember, you have to use the URL of the picture itself, not the page the picture originates from.

Elvis

Last edited:

intheruff

Again Elvis, thanks. I've added an old pic of the Ludwigs taken in 72, most here probably weren't around in those hay dayz. Note the resonant heads have all been removed. A rebuild project is slated some time later. I'll take a better photo today and post via that button biz. Are those your Norths? WILD! Harry, you can see the drums now but I'll retake, curious as to what you think of the finish.

Elvis

Silver Member
Hey, I was around in '72!
I was 9 years old, but I was around! =)

Interesting slant, making your old Luds your avatar.

No, the North's are not mine.
I currently have a set of Ludwig Classic Maple drums, that I purchased new in 1999.

Here's the pic...

What you're looking at...

18x14 / 10x8 / 14x14 Ludwig Classic Maple kit finished in Cherry (a lacquer finish).
Snare drum is a 13x5 Tama Stagestar.
Cymbals are as follows:
20" Paiste Traditional Light Ride
18" Paiste Signature Mellow Crash
13" Paiste NSDE h-h top / 13" Paiste Signature Medium h-h bottom
Stands are older Gibraltar JZ series.
10x8 tom is mounted via Gretsch "left side" tom mount and RIMS.
Pedal is Tama by Camco chain drive, circa 1990, featuring a Duplex "Soft Beater".
Brushes are Ludwig.
....and NO, the pic isn't backwards. I play Left Footed.

That kit orignally came with a tube lugged 13x3 Classic Maple snare drum in a matching finish.
Here's a picture of that one...

Thanks for asking.

Elvis

harryconway

Platinum Member
Small picture, but from what I can tell, I see green. John Densmore (Doors) played a "psyche red" kit. The Ludwig re-issue didn't do justice to the original. You can usually judge how much fade you've suffered by, say, removing a tom/cymbal/leg mount. Where Mr. Sun has never shone. I've seen some kits where the green has turned to off white/grey, so bad was the fade. 1972 - I was 15/16.

intheruff

Elvis, you got some nice looking drums there. Beautiful! I wish mine (Tamas) were as 'sparkly'. When I rebuild the Luds rechroming will be part of the process as there are pits of rust in places. The drums are kept in the shop which is to say they're basically outdoors. I'm adding on to the house and will have room inside for them once completed. Work work work! Harry, I've downloaded the pics of the drums, and yes... a bit of green is there. I hope the download worked. Right now I see no evidence, so if they don't show I'll wait for Elvis here to tell me what went wrong.

intheruff

DW came back and said I'd have resize the photo... to many pixels I guess. Does that mean I have to reset the camera? Or can I adjust the pixels within the existing pic? Sorry for the hassle.

Elvis

Silver Member
intheruff,

Thanks for the compliment. Much appriciated.
A couple of things I forgot to mention about my kit.
The 10" tom uses a Ludwig bracket. I was able to make it work by swapping the arm on the Gretsch mount for the arm on the original Ludwig/Gibraltar single tom mount.
Fortuantely, they take the same sized "ball", but Gretsch uses the large 12mm arm, so the swap was neccessary, in order to use the bracket which only accepts the small 9.5mm arm (same size as current and older Ludwig L-arms).
I've also recently swapped the snares between the Tama and Ludwig snare drums.
As you're probably aware, the smaller Ludwig snare drums always come with a 12 strand snare.
This is great for getting that Steve Gadd/Don Brewer "Butcher's Paper wrap" out of the snare drum, but I wanted the LCM to be more sensitive and have a more "full" and "smoother" snare sound.
The Tama came with a 20 strander, so I swapped 'em and it worked great.
The Ludwig is a lot easier to live with now and the Tama actually "opened up" a little (soundwise) and gained a hint of punch.
Double winner!

As for your pic woes, that's the one problem with using the attachment function.
My apologies for not stating that earlier.
At some sites, they actually list the maximum size pic you can attach, depending on format (.jpg, .gif, etc.), however I see now that's not the case here.
The size limit goes by both dimension (640x480, for example) and the capacity of the pic (30kb, for example).
If you have some kind of "graphic alteration" program on your computer, you can downsize the pics.
Do you happen to have Microsoft Office on your computer?
You can alter the size of the image using MO's "Picture Manager" program.
There are other aftermarket graphic programs, such as Photoshop, which can do the same thing.
Otherwise, you might want to go ahead and put them online and link them using the UBB commands I aluded to earlier.
There are many free online photo albums available.
I belong to Webshots, but I don't recommend them (too much of a hassle).
Many people like Flickr and Imageshack.
Choose whichever one you prefer, or use the programming on your computer.
Your call.

Elvis

Elvis

Silver Member
Hey, one other thing I wanted to comment on concerned the resto you plan to do to your Ludwigs.
An option to rechroming the hardware, is to replace it with new items.
Ludwig still offers a lot of their "vintage" hardware, such as the curved BD legs, the BD mounted cymbal holder and even B&O badges (!).
This might be a cheaper and easier way to make that kit shine again.

Elvis

drumtechdad

Gold Member
Easiest thing to do is post your pics at a pic-hosting site such as photobucket. When you do so they are resized automagically. Then do the
thing.

And Elvis, I covet your kit. Simply beautiful.

intheruff

Sweet! Thanks for the help guys. As you can see, these drums have be USED! And yes Elvis, your drums are fantastic looking (slobber slobber :)). It'll be my goal to make these Luds look somewhere near as good. I'm getting worked up on the thought of the restoration and when I start I'll make a thread to follow the process. I'd like to rechrome what's necessary to keep the original parts intact, it'll depend on cost however. I think I'll start a new thread and try and discover how to make my cymbols look something like yours. Elvis, you've inspired me.

diosdude

Silver Member
Probably a maple interior ply, poplar middle ply, and a mahogany (real, not Phillippean) exterior ply, with maple reinforcement rings. And if it's "frog in a blender" wrap, worth quite a bit of cash, if it's in decent shape. The green tends to really fade out on those. Post pictures.......please.

Gaaahhhh!!!!! It's Filipino!!! not Phillippean!!!!! <----100% Filipino here, LOL!!!

harryconway

Platinum Member
Nice kit. A "players" kit, for sure, but hey, that's what I do! I play drums, I don't collect them. Lot of fade on that wrap. The thumbnail shows less fade, white interior and reso. head hardware. Pull off all the hardware and start cleaning and polishing. Repaint the inside of the kick, that will make the set a lot "fresher" looking. My Rogers project here: http://harryconway.typepad.com/ should you care.
Gaaahhhh!!!!! It's Filipino!!! not Phillippean!!!!! <----100% Filipino here, LOL!!!
No, do a google search for filipino mahogany. Now, splitting hairs might get me to say Philippine mahogany.....or Phillippean.....plenty of results will come up for each. Filipino's are people who live on/come from the Philippine islands

Last edited:

shepfu1

I still have one remaining Tama Titan Boom cymbal stand. Back in the day when I was gigging I had a full compliment of Titan stands, 2 booms, 2 straights, snare stand and hi=hat stand. That stuff was solid as a rock and heavy as a SOB! I recall having an old trunk that I put all my hardware in and NOBODY wanted to grab the other end of it to help me lug it in to gigs. I don't blame them, it was like carrying a trunk with John Candy in it. The one stand I have left now carries a 18" crash, my 10" tom and a gibralter cymbal grabber with a 10" splash on it. Doesn't move an inch no matter how hard I play.

Elvis

Silver Member
Thanks for the compliment guys. Much appreciated.
I always liked how that finish made the grain pop. You can kinda see that in the snare drum pic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

intheruff,

Nice kit, despite the wear.
Big Beat or Hollywood?
That finish is kinda rare. Ludwig was doing a reissue of that finish, but I think they've since stopped.
I know you can get that wrap over at Sam Barnard's website.

...also, aren't the legs supposed to have a dog leg in them?

Elvis

intheruff

Lot of fade on that wrap
Its funny Harry, once I dusted them off I was surprised they looked as GOOD as they did. So Harry, what kind of polish/wax would you recommend? That honey bee wax you used on yours? Nice kits by the way. I had one of those Big O bass drums once. When I have the time I'll scan an old high school photo of them when I played (for a very short time) the drums. The band, The Unknowns, knew three songs... haha. Mash Potatoes and Caravan were our biggees. I don't remember the other. Too much!

Elvis, I appreciate that web site to get the pr wrap. I'll need some for the base d hoops. Some other divits I'll leave to retain what it is they are. Like Harry said, they're a 'players' kit, and that they'll remain. But, the restore will have em' looking great. I've only seen one other kit with that finish. I almost remember the days from which their look capture... lol.
Big Beat or Hollywood? Not sure I follow. However, let me guess and say Hollywood NOT! And, I believe Big beat was before I played, I think... haha. It was Mitch Mitchell and the like that got me playing.
I curious about your big fluffy beater. No thud there.

Shep... I hear you. Nobody gets near my stand cases when its time to pack up.

Drumtechdad... Interesting what Ayotte claims. I played some Ayottes and they sounded like thunder compared to 'better' more expensive kits. I don't know whether they mic as well, some say no. I think dimensions impact the sound more than the wood. But I don't really know.

harryconway

Platinum Member