Holding The Sticks--Hand Control

double bass man

Fairly new to the snare drum.
Questions regarding control holding the sticks. Holding both sticks 'full handed' v 'full handed' with the RH and traditional grip left handed.
I find that the LH full handed has more control but has not the bounce of the traditional grip
Being more into the jazz style I prefer the traditional grip in the left hand for the bounce --swing' feel'. Do you guys find the same?

Holding the sticks depends on the style of music being played--example: jazz / marching / rock?

Your thought's / expertise welcome.

Fairly new to the snare drum.
Questions regarding control holding the sticks. Holding both sticks 'full handed' v 'full handed' with the RH and traditional grip left handed.
I find that the LH full handed has more control but has not the bounce of the traditional grip
Being more into the jazz style I prefer the traditional grip in the left hand for the bounce --swing' feel'. Do you guys find the same?

Holding the sticks depends on the style of music being played--example: jazz / marching / rock?

Your thought's / expertise welcome.

I often play jazz traditional grip, and pretty much always play everything else matched grip. And of course, I always play brushes traditional grip.

Being more into the jazz style I prefer the traditional grip...

There are pros and cons for both grips and endless debates about the differences online.

If you're a Jazzer, traditional grip makes sense. It's easier to play at lower volumes, it lends itself to asymmetrical playing so it's easier to swing, and there's a visual element that can't be ignored.

I don't see any cons with match grip. Only traditional grip has limitations for me no matter what I'm playing. I started out traditional and played that way for many years until changing and never looked back.

I started with traditional grip for the first 7 or 8 years then switched to matched. I just couldn’t get the power or even-ness of sound with trad. So matched is what works for me. I see crazy good even sounding trad grip players but I can’t do that.

I do play brushes with backward trad (trad grip on my right not left hand) because it feels best to me that way. I’m not recommending it. I don’t buy into the notion that the way I hold my sticks influences how I feel music. I’m sure that is true for many though.

I just couldn’t get the power or even-ness of sound with trad.

I think it's different for everybody.

With trad I naturally gravitate toward playing quietly and asymmetrically. With matched I gravitate toward playing loudly and symmetrically.

So if I wanted to be a Jazz guy, I'd play trad, and if I wanted to Rock out, I'd play matched.

I learned matched and played rock for ages. Nowadays I'd like to play trad, but I just can't get the hang of it. Not yet, anyway.

Interesting replies. Many thanks.
Being a 'newbe' and into the jazz style I have tried both styles. For me the traditional way I find it is more natural for me.
a) Is quieter and b) Has more of a swing / bounce feel.
I know two snare drum player's-an orchestral and a marching player. Both players hold the sticks full handed and both very good.

Depends an the style of music you play? I have decided to learn both ways.

I may get some stick for this, but I play jazz with matched grip.
When I started playing jazz I had developed a lot more LH fine control with matched already, so I stuck with it.
I don't have the same control with Trad.

I play traditional grip only because that's how I was taught and matched grip feels weird. I probably should learn matched. I honestly don't understand why an educator would teach traditional grip anymore.
I'm old enough to have had to play field drums in the marching band with straps, so, traditional grip was a must. Now, they have harnesses, so, again, no need for traditional grip.

Back