Hitting your thumb with a stick...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yes! Not in a while though. But I clearly remember the night when my thumbnail was mistaken forn the snare drum head. BAM! smack dab in the middle of the nail.
I would tell you how much it hurt, but I can't.
I took it like a man....

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thank God that we don't play with hammers! I was trying to learn some stick tricks. I never hit my thumb as much as I did while attempting the stick to stick roll.

TurboThom

Not too often. I'm more prone to smacking myself in the face with the tip of a stick. Once in a while I go for a cymbal that isn't there anymore and wind up with a good knuckle buster on the rim of a rack tom.

Bol-D

Not too often. I'm more prone to smacking myself in the face with the tip of a stick. Once in a while I go for a cymbal that isn't there anymore and wind up with a good knuckle buster on the rim of a rack tom.

wow, u must have really been assaulting your cymbals? missing and punching you rack tom.. sounds painful

iv hit my self in the face before though. ouch

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i hit myself in the eye with a stick pretty hard a couple years ago. my eyeball was bleeding and everything. it was pretty nasty!

schist

Silver Member
I remember once, within my first few months of playing drums, that I went to hit the cymbal and follow it with a choke, missed the cymbal completely, and whacked the s**t out of my thumb. And I'm renowned for being a pretty hard-hitter as well. :S

TurboThom

wow, u must have really been assaulting your cymbals? missing and punching you rack tom.. sounds painful

iv hit my self in the face before though. ouch

I'm not a hard hitter, really. You know when you are walking up stairs without looking, and you go up one more step, only to find it isn't there? It's kinda like that. I was expecting to move my right arm from my ride to another cymbal, and found nothing but a rack tom hoop.

I'm going to write a book on this new technique. "From Sticking to Smacking, 60 Blazing Fast Transitions to Hand Drumming"

Drummertist

Silver Member
The worst is when you do it in a song. Here's how it goes...

*BOOM*SMACK*BOOM*SMACK*
[hit your finger or your face with the stick]
*BOOM*OUCH*BOOM*OUCH*
*BOOM*BLOOD*BOOM*BLOOD*
*BOOM*—*BOOM*—*BOOM*——————————...
[faints from blood]

Ekim

Silver Member
Why would you hit your thumb with a stick? That's not audible to the audience... well, not unless you hit REALLY hard.

SabeTudo

Ekim and joshisaces. hahahahaha

I laughed really hard when I read those two posts. Thanks for that hahahahhaa

dpf

Why would you hit your thumb with a stick? That's not audible to the audience... well, not unless you hit REALLY hard.

Although they would hear the screams of obscenities. Could add an interesting effect ;)

DrewTheShoe

I've hit my thigh with the body of my stick quite a few times... It's quite funny to see my band's reaction to me going "JESUS!" in the middle of a set...

kevmac858

ive hit thumb, face, knuckle, even hit a wall, that one was memorable haha. was getting really into the song i was playing along with and then wam, my stick was out of my hand and sticking out of the wall.
it was similar to flea @ 0.56 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1XbKHNH7Y
can't stop with his chair. but it was a stick... and im not a professional musician so i can't just walk around and get paid to do that like he does.....

kuren84

Its when you hit yourself stright on the nail that it really kills.

\m/

I've never hit myself in the thumb, but I have hit myself in the forehead more than once...ouch, that hurts!