Hitting The Wall And Need To Gig....NOW

Woolwich

Silver Member
After months in the preparation my new band is ready to gig on December the 17th and the day can't come soon enough!
Here's the reason and I wonder if it rings bells with anyone.
When we got together we had a handful of songs that we worked up over the course of a few weeks until we got them to a decent level. We added new songs in, and we regularly revisited stuff we'd already put to bed to keep our hands in. Then last week we booked a three hour rehearsal instead of our usual two hours and for the first time we ran through every song in the order we'll gig them. It went well, the times added up so we don't need to add last minute songs to increase our running time and we made no major mistakes. Last night we had another three hour session and did the same again. Next week we have another three hour session and we'll do the same thing again. The week after that we've got two sessions of two hours each in which we'll do the same thing again.
And this is the stage that is "The Wall" :) Don't get me wrong I don't hate it, we're making incremental improvements and it's a necessary part of getting to be gig ready. It's just that this is the end of the beginning and the thing that's keeping a smile on my face is the diary that shows three booked gigs within the next 4 weeks. If we were at this stage of rehearsal and had nothing booked, and no sign of a booking because they're getting harder to come by in my neck of the woods, I think I'd struggle to stay motivated.

Erberderber

Well all I can say is enjoy it, all of it, rehearsals included. Never forget why you got into it in the first place. Savour every moment and appreciate the fact you have an opportunity to simply play with other people, let alone do gigs.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
All rehearsal and no gigging is no fun. It's good that you have a few gigs lined up so it will make all the hard work worth the effort. That's a lot of practice you've been doing there. I'm sure it will pay off come show time.

A number years ago I was in a band that did waaaaaay more rehearsing than gigging. It got frustrating to practice the same things all the time and not play much so I left (there were other reasons too). Then the band after that was much the same though there was more gigging than the previous band. What also got frustrating was the amount of rehearsal needed to just keep the band sounding good with the same damn songs we'd played a hundred times. The bands' (both) tightness would deteriorate quickly if we didn't rehearse the same songs all the time. I was like, WTF? I gotta sit here and wait while x player over there has to polish up parts he's been playing for 4 years!? Screw that.

I'm not a fan of rehearsal although it's obviously a necessary evil sometimes. But Jesus I hate it when people don't do their homework.

Now I'm in the complete opposite situation where there's no rehearsal and just gigging (covers). So it's like heaven, lol.

Sorry I used your thread to rant. Kick some ass!

Maicoh_

Mmhh good point. You made me realize that I'm stuck with this problem too.

I've joined a band in February for the first time. We still haven't gigged yet. Things happen with the band mates where we sometimes can't rehearse weekly, the guys don't practice at home at all, so we need to keep playing the same songs untill we get it right and can gig. But when there's a week where we don't practice, it feels like we've lost a lot. Now our guitarist is getting bored of the songs and so we decided on writing some new songs... I don't see gigging happening in the near future sadly.. Luckily I'm playing with a different band that's going forward quite faster.

Woolwich

Silver Member
All rehearsal and no gigging is no fun. It's good that you have a few gigs lined up so it will make all the hard work worth the effort. That's a lot of practice you've been doing there. I'm sure it will pay off come show time.

A number years ago I was in a band that did waaaaaay more rehearsing than gigging. It got frustrating to practice the same things all the time and not play much so I left (there were other reasons too). Then the band after that was much the same though there was more gigging than the previous band. What also got frustrating was the amount of rehearsal needed to just keep the band sounding good with the same damn songs we'd played a hundred times. The bands' (both) tightness would deteriorate quickly if we didn't rehearse the same songs all the time. I was like, WTF? I gotta sit here and wait while x player over there has to polish up parts he's been playing for 4 years!? Screw that.

I'm not a fan of rehearsal although it's obviously a necessary evil sometimes. But Jesus I hate it when people don't do their homework.

Now I'm in the complete opposite situation where there's no rehearsal and just gigging (covers). So it's like heaven, lol.

Sorry I used your thread to rant. Kick some ass!
No you're absolutely welcome to rant, I'm glad to generate a bit of interactivity :) I've never been in a situation as bad as yours but in this band our rehearsal is about tightening up the songs and not about that frustrating situation where band members turn up having not learned the things they promised they would :-(
And perhaps part of my slight impatience is that I'm in two bands, the other has got past the rehearsal stage and we've been gigging for over two years, I'm just excited to get our new band out there and show what we can do. The four of us were in a band together in the past and we have a good idea about what it takes and how to entertain an audience. I now wish I'd also used the phrase "necessary evil" too.

mkidd053

I'm in the same boat. Family and work keep everyone so busy. It is so hard to keep the ball rolling. I enjoy rehearsing though. I don't see it as a chore. I do get a little frustrated playing the same things over and over and guys making the same mistake. But I would rather keep doing that then end up a soloist in my basement forever.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I'm in a band that has done around 30 x 4hour gigs this year, with zero rehearsals. During the year we've added six new songs and changed the setlist around a couple of times - all via email. Makes me happy not having to waste weeknights relearning songs we already know.

lefty2

Platinum Member
The band I'm in now has been quite slow at getting things rolling. It's been several years, and we're just now starting to gig. I think we've played around 8 shows. When we started I worked 2nd shift and another member worked a split shift. Which meant no rehearsals on week nights, and every other week end. So we could only rehearse twice a month. Then a member quit, we went through several others trying to find a replacement. We finally found the right person, and I'm on 1st shift now. So we can rehearse 4 times a month. It's been slow going. I can relate to loosing the touch on songs that haven't been rehearsed in a while, and people not doing their home work too. Every band is different. Our lead singer can't seem to remember any of the songs. So she needs the words in front of her at all times. That's been an issue a time or two. Sometimes the same mistakes are made time after time, but we just plow on and try not to get on to each other too much. We all have things going on at home, and can't work on music as much as we'd like to. With today's busy life styles, these are probably pretty common band problems.When I was younger playing drums was about all I did.