Hitting my leg when I hit the snare drum...

Max99

Hey.
So I have this problem that I'm guessing is something to do with my technique...Basicly most of the time when I am striking the snare drum; the knuckles of my hand hit my leg which I just find pretty annoying, so would like to find a way around it.
I tried moving my snare stand up slightly more, however this just meant that I hit more rimshots.

So yeah, any help would be great. Thanks

Hey.
So I have this problem that I'm guessing is something to do with my technique...Basicly most of the time when I am striking the snare drum; the knuckles of my hand hit my leg which I just find pretty annoying, so would like to find a way around it.
I tried moving my snare stand up slightly more, however this just meant that I hit more rimshots.

So yeah, any help would be great. Thanks
Unless you're already sitting pretty high, you might need to raise your seat slightly, too.

Yeah, I'm fairly tall so I'm already fairly high; but I'll give that a try :) thanks.
That would usually necessitate needing to sit higher, though. If you're tall you probably have longer legs. So if you're sitting low, your thighs might be angled up slightly (with the "high point" being your knees), rather than your thighs being parallel to the floor or angled down slightly. You might have to raise the height of everything to accomodate this, and then you won't be hitting your leg any longer, too.

Raise the drum and learn to make shorter strokes so that you don't hit rimshots. Try tilting the drum slightly toward you if it's a real problem. You're hitting rimshots, it's not because the drum is necessarily in the wrong position, but because you're used to finishing your stroke at a lower height. A little work will fix the problem.

If you simply sit with your arms dangling down from the shoulders - with no tension at all - and bend at the elbows until your forearms are parallel with the floor, your stick tips won't usually be low enough to have your hands hitting your leg when you play. Set your snare drum at this height.

Last edited:
Back