Hit Hat Pedal All the suddenly springy?

Hannahsketchbook

I don’t know much about hi hats quite yet. I saw I was missing a felt though since I changed back to my low volume cymbals so I took it apart to add it and I did something wrong while trying to put it back together. Now my pedal is so springy I can’t keep it closed. What did I do? 😭😭😭😭 I attached some photos of the stand.

Edit because it’s late and I’m tired and this made no sense before lol.

Attachments

• F027C01C-713E-4229-9699-A2D4FF798F6B.jpeg
    F027C01C-713E-4229-9699-A2D4FF798F6B.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 19
  • CD524B2A-6539-4A86-B24E-A44DAAAD42D5.jpeg
    CD524B2A-6539-4A86-B24E-A44DAAAD42D5.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
This is the spring tension adjustment:

20220921_063828.jpg

Just a guess, but you may have inadvertently tightened it all the way without realizing.

WuHan Solo

I'm trying to figure out why you had to disassemble your stand in order to add a felt that went missing when you swapped hats. :unsure:

What exactly did you take apart? Or am I not understanding this correctly?

Hannahsketchbook

I'm trying to figure out why you had to disassemble your stand in order to add a felt that went missing when you swapped hats. :unsure:

What exactly did you take apart? Or am I not understanding this correctly?
I didn’t disassemble the stand. I just changed out the top cymbal and then readjusted the height so it was the proper height I like in the relation to my snare. Then my pedal just got springy? I didn’t even touch the spring adjustment but I can’t even move it. I’ve tried that just in case I did something. But I can tighten or loosen it. 😭

organworthyplayer337

Where would I double check this? Maybe this is the problem
Try to twist the rod itself to tighten it. If it’s all the way loose, you might have to take off your clutch and hi hats and put it in it’s hole (which might require you to remove the outer tube). Sounds complicated, but it’s not! Google a video on how to fully assemble a hi hat stand and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Here’s a video that covers the issue from the 3minute mark;

Let me know if this helps

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I didn’t disassemble the stand. I just changed out the top cymbal and then readjusted the height so it was the proper height I like in the relation to my snare. Then my pedal just got springy? I didn’t even touch the spring adjustment but I can’t even move it. I’ve tried that just in case I did something. But I can tighten or loosen it. 😭
Okay. Try raising the top tube assembly and see if things go back to normal. You may have inadvertently compressed the tension adjustment with the top tube. If so, the tube will prevent the perch from sliding in its track in the knob.

WuHan Solo

Ah, I see.
It sounds like something has gotten jammed up when adjusting the top tube (for height). Try taking that loose again and raising it up to see if that frees anything up inside. From the looks of that pic, it looks like its bottomed out and might be binding the spring.
I have a similar stand tucked away that I haven't used in years. When I get home this evening I'll dig it out and try to see what might be the cause.

A little tip: In the future, to get the video to start at a specific time for us, if you right click on the video itself while in youtube and then click the "Copy video URL at current time" and then paste it in the "insert link" dropdown here, it will start wherever you intended. Not that it's a big deal for us to skip ahead, but just for future reference.

jda

Silver Member
I've a Yamaha (non-adjustable-spring) hi hat stand (on my home set) that----If you move the top section (up or down) it also Moves the footplate (up or down)

you may have moved top-tube "position" from where it was Previous and is Giving the footboard another angle.
with more spring in it (? +/- wider-gap..

Hannahsketchbook

Try to twist the rod itself to tighten it. If it’s all the way loose, you might have to take off your clutch and hi hats and put it in it’s hole (which might require you to remove the outer tube). Sounds complicated, but it’s not! Google a video on how to fully assemble a hi hat stand and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Let me know if this helps

Yup did the trick! Thank you!