Hip Hop Snare

Treverer

What snare would you choose for oldschool hip hop, Roots stuff? Or what would you say is THE hiphop snare/sound? Yamaha SD 493?

Any remcommendations or sleepers I might not be aware of?

Edit: I already have a fat and meaty snare drum, looking for something like Questlove on 'The Seed'.

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Ludwig Supraphonic.

One of the reasons why Quest went to Ludwig.

Done.

That being said.

For a raw old skool, “Funky Drummer” Hip-Hop snare sound that is.

There are many sub-genres, each with their own sound pallete, so it is impossible to pin-point one snare for all.

Go with what you have, take the minimum approach even, and invest in learning the different styles 200% as it isn’t all that simple when you dig in.

Last edited:

TJK

What snare would you choose for oldschool hip hop, Roots stuff? Or what would you say is THE hiphop snare/sound? Yamaha SD 493?

Any remcommendations or sleepers I might not be aware of?
SD493 would be on par but I believe the most sampled snare in hip hop is the Clyde’s 5” supra from James Brown. I believe Bonham’s is up there too.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
When I do Hip Hop gigs I typically use two snares. Both wood. The main one being something 14" x 6" or deeper. The side snare is 10" x 5.5"
I use a little dampening on each to fatten the main snare, and focus and dry out the side snare.

here's an example:

roncadillac

Seems like a lot of the "pros" who play hip hop (excluding ?) are gravitating towards using a thick, muffled, dead head tuned pretty high so they get crack and pop but with little to no overtone and a rounded fatness.

More and more I see the Evans hydraulic snare (plain ol hydraulic w/ a clear sprayed coating) being used by these guys. I also see coated G2 with tape frequently.

With this set up and tuning, the shell material will have much less to do with it.

Better yet, watch Chris Dave play and pick which one of his many snare sounds that fits what you are hearing in your head and chase it.

Treverer

Thank you for all your answers! That's why I love this forum, I thought they were playing shallow metal shells :D

When I think hip hop snare it's Questlove's snare in 'The Seed' or Public Enemy's 'Don't believe the hype' if that helps.

roncadillac

Thank you for all your answers! That's why I love this forum, I thought they were playing shallow metal shells :D

When I think hip hop snare it's Questlove's snare in 'The Seed' or Public Enemy's 'Don't believe the hype' if that helps.
May I suggest you spend some time with Big L, Big Pun, early Nas, and some of the side albums from Wu Tang affiliates such as GZA's "Liquid Swords" and "Beneath The Surface", RZA's "Bobby Digital" albums, Rae's "Cuban Lynx 1", and Ghost's... Well everything. He's a banger on the real.

Then jump over to a lesser known band called Portishead... You're welcome homie ;)

What I mean with all that is you'll be surprised how much hip hop snare is actually fat, deep, and meaty.

Treverer

May I suggest you spend some time with Big L, Big Pun, early Nas, and some of the side albums from Wu Tang affiliates such as GZA's "Liquid Swords" and "Beneath The Surface", RZA's "Bobby Digital" albums, Rae's "Cuban Lynx 1", and Ghost's... Well everything. He's a banger on the real.

Then jump over to a lesser known band called Portishead... You're welcome homie ;)

What I mean with all that is you'll be surprised how much hip hop snare is actually fat, deep, and meaty.
I like your answer and mostly all of the listening tips you give, BUT the baseball bat through the wedding cake department is already covered in my snare arsenal :D
Maybe I should have said that first, my apologies!

Treverer

This snare has an awesome throaty pop to it, is this what you're going for?

That is definitely the right direction! I like the articulation, the crispness for the lack of a better word.
But the tone itself I find a bit uninspiring tbh, not bad, but it doesn't touch me in a place that makes me cough up the money to buy into top shelf DW snares ;)