Hip hop drumming help

some guy

My band and I are interested in playing hip hop songs live and I will be drumming for them. I was hoping I could get some advice on the forum.

Are there any brands or additions to the kit I should look into?
Artists/Songs that utilize hip-hop drumming effectively I should study?

The first two songs we will be doing are Paid In Full by Eric B and Rakim as a warm up (is there a tambourine or something in there?) and Seed 2.0 (feat. Cody ChestnuTT) by The Roots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfuXUwqO1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFb9UqELX8w

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Work on your bass drum foot. Lot's of subtle double beats etc.
In the Jay Z video that is. In the first one you say you are practicing it is a loop.

some guy

Yeah the one with the loop would just be the track we open with as a warm up for our mc to freestyle on. I mean its a fairly short piece so we thought we could practice with it to get accustomed to the sound and such. Songs like Seed 2.0 and Run by Gnarls Barkley would be our focus

dkerwood

Silver Member
I'd recommend not trying too hard to duplicate the sound of the original. They've got layers upon layers of loops going. There's really no way you can cover all that with one kit. Instead, work to duplicate the FEEL of the songs. I like hip hop drumming because I usually get to throw in a lot of tight hi hat patterns and bass drum syncopation.

I would suggest working hard to get an appropriate snare and kick sound. I've heard hip hop played on a popcorn snare, and I've heard it played on a 7" deep wood snare. It's up to you.

You could check out Billy Martin's breakbeat records. Alot of good ideas in there.

I heard an interview where Questlove said he tried to sound like drum machines.

Finally, I would like to second Grunter's comment about subtle double on the kick.

elpol

You could check out Billy Martin's breakbeat records. Alot of good ideas in there.

I heard an interview where Questlove said he tried to sound like drum machines.

Finally, I would like to second Grunter's comment about subtle double on the kick.
bingo! listen very closely to this man's work. Any album by the Roots will do. Also, check out Poogie Bell with Erykah Badu on her live album: good stuff there!