Hihat ideas over a backing track

Nice playing again Richard! I like the 2 bar fill at the end of the 8 bar phrase that starts here.

Question: Is your hihat pattern here constructed as part of your kick pattern (or vice versa) or does it really have a mind of its own? Thanks

Last edited:
Nice playing again Richard! I like the 2 bar fill at the end of the 8 bar phrase that starts here.

Question: Is your hihat pattern here constructed as part of your kick pattern (or vice versa) or does it really have a mind of its own? Thanks
hi rhumbagirl, the truth is this is a finisher vid for a series i made about hihat independence based on all the options of a group of four sooooo, in this case I was improvising but that specific moment you pinpointed I'd say I was playing bass drum patterns in my vocabulary and filling in between with the hihat. Here's a link to a video about that idea except it's done from the reverse perspective, the hihat is playing and the kick fills in. Either way it's a set of exercises aimed at getting this to happen for you in a musical way :) thanks for asking the good questions :)

Back