Hihat foot technique

defregano

Hey guys. Just curious as I’ve been experimenting with both, but what do you guys use for open and closing hihats..heel down or heel up?
i think I do both unconsciously depending on what I’m playing but would like to know what feels best for you.

Last edited:
Heel up on both pedals all the time. It's a delicate balancing act, for sure, but fifty years of it makes it easy.

GeeDeeEmm

I use heel down mostly. But a long run of 8th note chicks...I can't do heel down. Yet. So I use heel up for anything I can't do with my heel down. The music I play is lyric based dance music, not real loud, so there's no real heavy drumming.

I'd be a heel up player (like I started out) if I had to play heavy music.

I use both but really intricate fast stuff with most dexterity heel up and grab my chain between big toe and next. Try it you’ll freak how well it works- well maybe I should qualify it works for me, and I may have some chimp genes I think my granddad might be Cheetah from the Tarzan movies LOL.

I use both but really intricate fast stuff with most dexterity heel up and grab my chain between big toe and next. Try it you’ll freak how well it works- well maybe I should qualify it works for me, and I may have some chimp genes I think my granddad might be Cheetah from the Tarzan movies LOL.
Lol. Now that is something I’ve never heard of or seen before. Sounds like it works for you though!

I agree with this statement

The rocker motion helps timekeeping accuracy. Heel down for 1 & 3; toe down for 2 & 4. Practice this for an hour per day until it becomes "automatic." Then you can liberate the left hand from the left foot.

Back