Hihat foot technique

defregano

Hey guys. Just curious as I’ve been experimenting with both, but what do you guys use for open and closing hihats..heel down or heel up?
i think I do both unconsciously depending on what I’m playing but would like to know what feels best for you.

Last edited:

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Heel up on both pedals all the time. It's a delicate balancing act, for sure, but fifty years of it makes it easy.

GeeDeeEmm

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I use heel down mostly. But a long run of 8th note chicks...I can't do heel down. Yet. So I use heel up for anything I can't do with my heel down. The music I play is lyric based dance music, not real loud, so there's no real heavy drumming.

I'd be a heel up player (like I started out) if I had to play heavy music.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I use both but really intricate fast stuff with most dexterity heel up and grab my chain between big toe and next. Try it you’ll freak how well it works- well maybe I should qualify it works for me, and I may have some chimp genes I think my granddad might be Cheetah from the Tarzan movies LOL.

defregano

I use both but really intricate fast stuff with most dexterity heel up and grab my chain between big toe and next. Try it you’ll freak how well it works- well maybe I should qualify it works for me, and I may have some chimp genes I think my granddad might be Cheetah from the Tarzan movies LOL.
Lol. Now that is something I’ve never heard of or seen before. Sounds like it works for you though!

loach71

I agree with this statement
The rocker motion helps timekeeping accuracy. Heel down for 1 & 3; toe down for 2 & 4. Practice this for an hour per day until it becomes "automatic." Then you can liberate the left hand from the left foot.