High hat technique

stevo

Looking to hear how you all have learned to place your HH in relation to your slave pedals/double pedals, and relating to balance, and how you sit behind your kit. I am struggling with my ability to accent on the opent hh's. And I think it is in how my balance/where I sit, and placement.

Thanks.

Boomka

Platinum Member
Looking to hear how you all have learned to place your HH in relation to your slave pedals/double pedals, and relating to balance, and how you sit behind your kit. I am struggling with my ability to accent on the opent hh's. And I think it is in how my balance/where I sit, and placement.

Thanks.
Sounds like you're losing your balance when you play your hihat in coordination with your bass drum. Do you sit high?

Remember, that no matter what height you sit at, and no matter what the pedal position, you must keep your weight on your keister, not on your feet.

fat in the middle

I had/ have the same problem. I have an exercise I do, where I play page 5 of syncopation with my kick and hh's. RLRR LRLL etc. After doing that for a month one starts to fine tune the balance issues. Then go on to rudiments and get creative with any other exercises. The hands are free to write poetry!

Boomka

Platinum Member
I had/ have the same problem. I have an exercise I do, where I play page 5 of syncopation with my kick and hh's. RLRR LRLL etc. After doing that for a month one starts to fine tune the balance issues. Then go on to rudiments and get creative with any other exercises. The hands are free to write poetry!
Syncopation? Do you mean Stick Control?

Matt Ritter could probably explain it better, but as I understand his advice, what you do is you mentally draw an imaginary equilateral (or more or less equilateral) triangle between your two feet and the center of your throne. You put your main pedal at one point of the triangle. Then, if you use your slave pedal more, put it at the remaining point. Or, if you use your HH more, put that at the remaining point, and position everything else around those 3 points.