High end pedals? Tell me why...

Is the original poster a metal drummer? Would he benefit from direct drive and would he get used to it?

It really is down to personal choice. Not everything is about speed.

I have a DW 5000 and a low-end Yamaha strap drive that I bought for about £20. I use the Yamaha a lot more than the 5000. Initially it was because it packed down smaller and was a lot lighter but I really, really like the feel of it. It's smooth, linear (no accelerated cams please) and pretty rugged. I also wouldn't mind too much if it got trashed.

I think the only solution to finding the 'right' pedal is to get your feet on them and play with them for a bit.

I highly suggest finding an old Ghost Pedal if you have never tried one.

The problem is finding on that is in great shape.

I find them VERY smooth...though it is a bit bulky.

I like my Axis better...but the Ghost is often overlooked.

Last edited:
I just don't get what the difference is between a middle of the road pedal that swings a beater into a drum vs a high end pedal that...swings a beater into a drum.

If you're happy with your pedal, you shouldn't concern yourself with more expensive pedals. Or, next time you're in a drum shop, try out some other pedals and see if you like them. The price for something doesn't always reflect what it cost to produce, but it's usually directly related. In most cases it has to do with durability, adjustability, and functionality.

I highly suggest finding an old Ghost Pedal if you have never tried one.

The problem is finding on that is in great shape.

I find them VERY smooth...though it is a bit bulky.

I like my Axis better...but the Ghost is often overlooked.

I saw one in Steve Maxwell's in NYC yesterday - looks ok (missing beater) from what I can see, didn't try it though. For those that really want one you should check it out.

Back