Hierarchy at various manufacturers?

Bozozoid

I talked with Pearls Gene okamoto concerning price and sound. We both agreed that (at the time) the midpriced kits outperformed high end kits but the endorsers weren't playing them and Pearl pushed the high end kits. Anyone remember when Remo Belli came out with the Remo kits?..he mentioned how higher prices made the kits more appealing. You know where I'm going with this.

s1212z

DW probably Performance

They have so many grades of Collector, I would put the bottom Collector as my pick....if I only could figure out what that is!

Gretsch......USA Custom is the top.

Agreed. Broadcaster is a legacy line just like Sonor's vintage series, sort of special...now Pearl has one too and DW replicating Camco (perhaps Yamaha RC too). Ludwig is sort of different, they have their flagship as the Legacy line which makes sense since it too iconic not to. And though Classic Maple is iconic too, Legacy formula is senior and more pricey.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Sentimental Vintage stuff. That's why they're both out of business.
your kidding right? some of the best music played was on kits like these.. Come back from the Dark Side Darth. Star Wars was ripped off from old Japanese Sci Fi Movies and remains more Original and Entertaining.. Nothing new , just marketing. continue to be sucked in.. what kits are played in hip hop samples hmmm.? Funky Drummer comes to mind.. Sentimental ? but hey if you believe it's true..

Last edited:

Darth Vater

your kidding right? some of the best music played was on kits like these.. Come back from the Dark Side Darth. Star Wars was ripped off from old Japanese Sci Fi Movies and remains more Original and Entertaining.. Nothing new , just marketing. continue to be sucked in.. what kits are played in hip hop samples hmmm.? Funky Drummer comes to mind.. Sentimental ? but hey if you believe it's true..
I've never seen a Star Wars movie. It's a play on words in that I use Vater sticks. What kind of music you talking about? Big band or something? I thought you played those overpriced Crav's? And yeah, I'm kind of just bustin' with ya. Nobody has a sense of humour on this forum though. A lot pontificating though. I like old Japanese sci-fi movies. Waffles too! ;)

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Check out Star Man , the bar scene from Star Wars is a direct rip off from that movie..Yes I record with Crav's , not overpriced considering most would buy and sell 3 sets before they even considered Crav. In the end they wind up paying More. You can say whatever you like about them I like them. Lot of Crav haters on this forum. But they sound damn good when tuned good..

Darth Vater

Check out Star Man , the bar scene from Star Wars is a direct rip off from that movie..Yes I record with Crav's , not overpriced considering most would buy and sell 3 sets before they even considered Crav. In the end they wind up paying More. You can say whatever you like about them I like them. Lot of Crav haters on this forum. But they sound damn good when tuned good..
Nah, they're nice as heck. There's a lot of haters of all high end stuff on here. Anti gear I guess. BTW, I have a Summit solid shell maple set. Not well known yet but very nice as well. Star Man! Yo!

dworld1.jpg

Sakae2xBopster

NOBODY knows what makes a kit “pro level” or “semi pro grade”.

IMO pro kits stand up to wear and tear better. For example, I have a $500 Sonor Bop SE that I absolutely love the sound of. But would it stand up to gigging in a different bar every week? I'm not so sure.
Also, the finishes are better on the high end kits.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Nah, they're nice as heck. There's a lot of haters of all high end stuff on here. Anti gear I guess. BTW, I have a Summit solid shell maple set. Not well known yet but very nice as well. Star Man! Yo!

View attachment 105652
Nice Man, Steel Lugs ? I got most of my Crav's a While back.. Just lately I've seen Flagship models asking more than what I paid for signed Crav's so I'm happy.. Try wood hoops on maple it's not Noah's Ark but Heavenly..

Darth Vater

Nice Man, Steel Lugs ? I got most of my Crav's a While back.. Just lately I've seen Flagship models asking more than what I paid for signed Crav's so I'm happy.. Try wood hoops on maple it's not Noah's Ark but Heavenly..
Some type of Pearl or Gretsch lugs I think. Tom mount is an INDe. I bought these pre-owned on a total flyer for an insanely low price. Fellow member @RickP just had a traveler kit made by Summit direct from them. I've since bought another snare from them as well. You can pick out your own style/brand of hardware. I think there's a place for modern drums but you have to go with the good companies like Sonor or Noble and Cooley. Not necessarily their "flagship" models either. You've got a nice collection of kits there. I've never played a Slingerland kit. Maybe someday.

Fritz Frigursson

IMO pro kits stand up to wear and tear better. For example, I have a $500 Sonor Bop SE that I absolutely love the sound of. But would it stand up to gigging in a different bar every week? I'm not so sure.
Also, the finishes are better on the high end kits.
what are “pro” kits, let’s get an objective definition. stage customs last a lot and are mega durable, is that a pro kit? mapex armory has pretty nice finishes, is that a pro kit too?

Darth Vater

what are “pro” kits, let’s get an objective definition. stage customs last a lot and are mega durable, is that a pro kit? mapex armory has pretty nice finishes, is that a pro kit too?
First off, what's your definition of a pro player? To me that's somebody on tour with a national act, or has been in that capacity. Drums are transported in hard shell cases with roadies and union stage hands slinging their instrument around. Semi-pro are guys that play all over a region on a regular basis 3-4 nights a week with maybe a roadie or two, or even lug/ set up their own gear yet still have a day job. Some people might consider them pros too. It's kind of a blurry line. Then there's the local guys who gig a couple times a month where stage size, or lack thereof, comes into play. These cats lug their own gear and if they make any money, have their friends/family there, get some free drinks out of the deal, they're happy.

Nothing wrong with being either level of player. I don't like to assign kits to any level of player. It's whatever floats your boat for the situation. Type of music you play, financial situation, and whatever makes you happy should drive your decision on what kind of kit(s) you play.

wildbill

Platinum Member
People may, or may not, be professional drummers.

Drum sets may, or may not, be used by professional drummers.

Last edited: