...Hi, I'm new to this.

wraub

Hi, again...

I've been an on-and-off semi-pro bassist for the last couple of decades, but, full disclosure..?
I've always wanted to play drums. Literally, since I was ten or eleven years old...drums.
The band leader at grade school said, "Every kid wants to play drums!" and gave me a trombone.... Hence, bass.

Forward to now, after years of random hitting on kits in rehearsal rooms and practice sessions, the drum bug still beating on my head, and a chance thrift store find of a Sonor Force 2003 bass drum with two unmatching (to each other or the bass drum) Tama toms led me on an almost 3 years long journey to here...

I am now the owner of an actual drum set , and I am definitely enjoying every minute of it. :)

I have a very basic ten year old starter set of shells (upgraded to Evans heads), 3 different snare drums, 2 sets of cymbals (I lucked into a pretty good set, and a better set) and a full-time addiction. I am doing paradiddles while I drive...and I drive all day for my job. It's good. :)
I am learning about cymbals... lots there I didn't know.
And, I'm finding that I've improved as a bass player, with counting and anticipating the beat and just over all groovishness.

I hope I can keep learning, and keep growing as a musician, and as a drummer... It's really fun!
Drummerworld has been very helpful. Thanks for having me. :)

I'll resume lurking now...

Old Dog new Cans

wraub, you seem like you have a good grasp of things. Welcome to the site! TONS of good info and very helpful peeps here.

Any lessons in your future? Have you used YouTube much? Plenty of great videos.

Good Luck.

wraub

Thanks, I'm trying... so much to learn. :)
I do watch a lot of instructional vids, and youtube can be useful... I'm a fan of Rob Brown, but if you have suggestions please let me know. I am all about learning and growing.

I am just at the point where I am thinking good instruction could be beneficial... I can play a little, but better is always the goal. ;)

wraub, you seem like you have a good grasp of things. Welcome to the site! TONS of good info and very helpful peeps here.

Any lessons in your future? Have you used YouTube much? Plenty of great videos.

Good Luck.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

oh man, being a band director my self, I HATE hearing stories about kids being driven away from what they want to do at first...so frustrating!! And such an old school thing...that sadly still happens.

I am also a semi-professional bass player as well as drummer, so I have (luckily) lived in both worlds for the past 35 years. Neil Peart got me into drums, and I also then followed Geddy Lee into the bass world

hopefully this site will help you with your journey into percussion!!!

Are you a double bass player? Electric? both?

wraub

I have played double bass, in college, but not since... I do play fretless bass, though, at times. I really prefer it, but most gigs don't want it ime.

oh man, being a band director my self, I HATE hearing stories about kids being driven away from what they want to do at first...so frustrating!! And such an old school thing...that sadly still happens.

I am also a semi-professional bass player as well as drummer, so I have (luckily) lived in both worlds for the past 35 years. Neil Peart got me into drums, and I also then followed Geddy Lee into the bass world

hopefully this site will help you with your journey into percussion!!!

Are you a double bass player? Electric? both?

wraub

I watch Sounds Like A Drum also, I have yet to fully explore Drumeo. Rob Brown speaks to me. ;)

I am looking for, everything, really- I'm kind of a knowledge junkie and a researcher of info. Currently, I'm working on limb independence and paradiddles (always), and watching almost every video I can of people playing drums, from basic to bodacious. :)
I'm also just sitting at the kit and playing, with and without music, as often as I can.

Rob Brown is great. I watch him weekly. Sounds Like a Drum, Drumeo.

I guess it depends on what exactly you're after. Stephen Taylor, Stephen Clark also provide some good information.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
If I could go back in time, I would give myself 3 or 4 pieces of advice:

1. first master Morello’s Stone Killer exercises
2. Also work on linear drumming a lot, early on
3. Lift your sticks higher to play loud, don’t force them into the head
4. Work on being able to bury the click at 10 bpm without subdividing
5. Just enjoy the process, and embrace all styles of music. Have fun. Let the audience feel your love for the music. That’s what matters.