Hi-hats: which one?

someguy01

Platinum Member
I play a lot of things, very little metal if at all anymore. I need new hi-hats and can't seem to decide.
A) Paiste 14" Signature Dark Energy Hi-hat Mk I Cymbals
Or
B)Zildjian 14" K Custom Special Dry Hi-hat Cymbals
What say you?

We would both get the Paiste. I can't decide because no one local has them for me to properly hear. Video just doesn't do it for me.

We would both get the Paiste. I can't decide because no one local has them for me to properly hear. Video just doesn't do it for me.
Have you tried the Zildjians, and if so what did you think? Trouble with cymbals is that some guy on here might like the sound of dustbin lids, and highly recommend them to you. Both of those choices are serious cymbals so it’s really down to YOUR ears at the end of the day. Joking aside I don’t think you can go far wrong with either. (y) ?

Their sound is quite different, the K custom sd have a much (always relatively speaking) more chunkier, trashier and drier sound, while the Sig de will be more cutting, high pitched, and washier.

Which one you'd like better is up to you though, and if versatility is key I'd rather go for a pair of Zildjian K medium hats or Paiste Sig medium hats or Sig dark crisp hats than either of the models you were considering.

Their sound is quite different, the K custom sd have a much (always relatively speaking) more chunkier, trashier and drier sound, while the Sig de will be more cutting, high pitched, and washier.
This is quite helpful. I do a lot of sample recording for my many DJ comrades. Hip hop, DnB, Jungle, etc. Most likely I will buy both over time (I have hats like y'all have snares) just looking for feedback on these two as I can't sample them in person because I can't find them. I mix and match hats as well, never know what you might stumble upon.

Or
What say you?
The Paiste for me. While dark ..... they're not so dark/trashs as to be narrow in focus. Kinda remind me of my Vanguards.
I do a lot of sample recording for my many DJ comrades. Hip hop, DnB, Jungle, etc. Most likely I will buy both over time (I have hats like y'all have snares)
I hear ya there. I have 3 main snares and 7 sets of hats. Check out the Sabian 18" Sick Hats. One of my favs !!!

Hip hop, jungle and RnB?
I get the feeling that the pair of hats you're looking for is the Paiste PST-x swiss hats in your preferred size, trash for days.
If I had to choose among the ones you listed I'd go for the K custom though.

Paiste PST-x swiss hats
have 'em. Great hats. Adding to the collection.
I have been eyeing the 12" DJ pstx hats... might grab those as well.

I play a lot of things, very little metal if at all anymore. I need new hi-hats and can't seem to decide.
Or
What say you?

Of the two options you've presented, I'd go with the Paiste Dark Energy hats any day of the week. Though I'm a Zildjian guy, Ks are generally too dark and washy for me. I like a cleaner, more focused sound, one that competes in the mix rather than submits to it. And no, I'm not a heavy hitter. There's a bizarre presumption in circulation that anyone who likes brighter cymbals must be an unmusical basher. That view has no grounds in any dimension that even remotely resembles reality.

Last edited:
Or
What say you?

If it's out of the two the Paiste win all day. The K Customs Special Dry aren't very versatile and imho a bit faddy.

If you're doing a lot of samples and D&B kinda stuff you won't go far wrong with ye olde Zildjian K/Zs or look at the Stewart Copeland signature hats.

I mix and match hats as well, never know what you might stumble upon.
So I thought I was being cutting edge by switching the bottom to top. Having just the one set limits me, but with multiple sets I’d probably spend a lot of time experimenting with mixing sets to get the ‘best’ sound. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

If it's out of the two the Paiste win all day. The K Customs Special Dry aren't very versatile and imho a bit faddy.

If you're doing a lot of samples and D&B kinda stuff you won't go far wrong with ye olde Zildjian K/Zs or look at the Stewart Copeland signature hats.
I do fancy a crack at the rhythmatist hats for sure...after I’ve snaffled a blue bell ride! ;) Proper crispy combo!
1603730094315.jpeg

So I thought I was being cutting edge by switching the bottom to top. Having just the one set limits me, but with multiple sets I’d probably spend a lot of time experimenting with mixing sets to get the ‘best’ sound. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.
It's fantastic. Two sets gives you 8 different pairings to try. Dont be afraid of cheap hats too. Sometimes they pair really well with a better cymbal. I currently have a nickle silver bottom on top of a B8 top and it sounds way better than either pair did to begin with.

I have a pst7 light bottom on top of a pst3 top, makes for a great sound and all total it might be $200 worth of hats. So much fun to be had.
Agreed. With mine, the gross sounding nickle silver seems to calm the super brightness of the B8. The B8 in turn seems to add some much needed tone to the nickle silver.

It's fantastic. Two sets gives you 8 different pairings to try. Dont be afraid of cheap hats too. Sometimes they pair really well with a better cymbal. I currently have a nickle silver bottom on top of a B8 top and it sounds way better than either pair did to begin with.
Truth. I am certainly not afraid of cheap hats for the moment it’s what I’ve got to work with :sneaky:. 13” used Zildjians?. Years ago I had a set of UFIP that I liked. The current ones are actually not too bad for what I need out of them. So eventually I plan to get 14”, but I do prefer bright. Can’t imagine playing larger than 14’s...

Back