hi hats getting stuck closed...

phillyb™

it appears that my pedal gets stuck down and keeps the hi hats closed.
i was wondering if i could lube the cylinder above the chain.
the cylinder that goes into the pole (doubt that's the right term) of the stand.
it seems like it's getting stuck there...would wd-40 or something similar work for this?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
it appears that my pedal gets stuck down and keeps the hi hats closed.
i was wondering if i could lube the cylinder above the chain.
the cylinder that goes into the pole (doubt that's the right term) of the stand.
it seems like it's getting stuck there...would wd-40 or something similar work for this?
Please post a picture of your hat stand.
The problem is most likely a bent rod in the center of the tube. (the rod that the upper hat cymbal clamps onto may be bent)

M

Matt Bo Eder

Check out www.drumfactorydirect.com - you may be able to inquire about just replacing the rod. Most rods are universal, but the screw-in part needs to match. I tried straightening a rod years ago and it never was the same after that and I ended up just replacing the entire hi-hat stand when I was ready.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
You should be able to straighten the rod by hand or by laying it on a flat wooden surface and working it with a rubber hammer.

Superman

Gold Member
Had the same issue a few years back with a bent rod..tried everything I could including a rubber mallet to attempt to straighten it out. It eventually became the property of my local garbage pick up.