Hi Hats don't close all the way

steverok

Silver Member
Hey everyone, I just received some used New Beats that I got on eBay. They don't close all the way. There is a good 1/16" to 1/8" gap on one side, no matter how hard I press down. I tried them on two different stands, and even tried to mix and match them with my older pair. I think both cymbals are warped. Is this common ? Can they be unwarped ?

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I do not think they can be unwarped. To find out, set each of them against a pane of glass and that will reveal what exactly is wrong.

Did they mention this in the eBay listing? Should have!

steverok

Silver Member
I do not think they can be unwarped. To find out, set each of them against a pane of glass and that will reveal what exactly is wrong.

Did they mention this in the eBay listing? Should have!
OK I will try that. No it wasn't revealed. I am trying to contact the seller now. They are not useful to me.

Soupy

Silver Member
Try spinning them around on the stand, is there an angle where they fit together?

If they weren't described accurately in the listing, eBay's buyer protection covers you if the seller gives you trouble. You shouldn't even have to pay shipping.

(Did Bo sell his New Beats?)

steverok

Silver Member
I tried that. They can't get a solid closed sound, no matter what I do. It was totally obvious the second I put them on the stand. I shouldn't have to fiddle around with them to get them to close. I have owned my original pair since 1988, and never even considered the possibility of this issue, until today.

steverok

Silver Member
I think this pretty much tells the story. My original hats are always on the right, eBay hats always on the left. The Bottom cymbal is particularly bad. Buyer Beware !!

TOPS

BOTTOMS

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Looks like you have a new pair of crash cymbals.Contact the seller,and if that dosen't work,go through Ebay and paypal and file a claim....get your money back and drop a negative feedback on this guy.

Also....post the sellers Ebay name on the forum,so we will all stay away from him.Its possible this seller didn't know they were warped,but not likely.

Steve B

steverok

Silver Member
Actually, the fellow was nice. He refunded my money before I sent them back to him. He was unaware that they were warped, but figured that was the reason he never liked them. So, all is good. I ended up buying a new pair of New Beats, and they sound pretty good, but not as good as my dirty old ones !