Hi Hat Stand

totalnewbie

Hi Sorry if this has been asked before and I did try a search first.

I have purchased a cheap kit of drums and already replaced the hi hats with some better ones. However I still cant get the sound I would like and they seem "clonky"

I have followed lots of tutorials on setting them up and think I have it about right with the kit I have.

Is there any benefit buying an expensive or better stand?

alparrott

Platinum Member
Hi Sorry if this has been asked before and I did try a search first.

I have purchased a cheap kit of drums and already replaced the hi hats with some better ones. However I still cant get the sound I would like and they seem "clonky"

I have followed lots of tutorials on setting them up and think I have it about right with the kit I have.

Is there any benefit buying an expensive or better stand?

The stand has next to no impact on the sound of the cymbals. if they sound bad to you on the stand you have, they're going to sound bad to you on a $399 hi-hat stand.

"Clonky" hi-hats usually means thick cymbals; thinner cymbals usually sound a little warmer, darker, and less clangy. However, if they're too thin they can sound harsh and trashy, and are also possibly more prone to breakage.

Most folks here stress the importance of hearing cymbals before you buy; I couldn't agree more. The safest, most popular bets are 14" Zildjian New Beats, Sabian AA Regular Hats, or Paiste 2002s. But with all of these, hearing is still recommended before buying.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
If the stand is raising and lowering the top cymbal then it is not the problem.
Adjusting the tilt angle of the lower cymbal is the only adjustment that makes hats sound different when partially opened.
You also don't want to over tighten the felts that hold the top hat.