Hi Hat stand for heavy footwork

dajazz

Hey guys, last Sunday I had a jam with a couple of friends in a new rehearsal studio, we play jazz standards really so I brought my own drums but used the stands there, the hihat stand was a bit weak, inconsistend and had a different feel to what I am used with my own stand.
The whole kit and amps are more geared towards rock bands, it made me think of asking here: what is your favourite hihat stand? do you find some pedals to be easier than others? I'm mostly asking jazz players and related genres where heavy hi hat pedal use is required.

I'm not a jazz drummer, but the hi-hat is my incessant metronome. When I'm not sticking it, I'm constantly keeping time on it with my leg. It's active during every fill as well. Drumming without it is unthinkable.

I don't like overdone hi-hats stands with lots of adjustments, so I always go for one of Pearl's simpler models. They're very smooth and sturdy. There's nothing "weak" or "inconsistent" about them. I've never had one malfunction under any circumstances.

Regardless of the manufacturer you decide upon, your best option is to try out a few stands if possible. You really won't know if you like one until you've sampled it.

Are you playing partial triplets and other three way coordination figures? My adjustable Yamaha stand can’t keep up with those. Actually I can’t tell if it’s the stand, the 15” cymbals, me or a combination of all three. At one point I thought had a similar issue with my bass drum pedal but it turned out to be my foot. 🤷🏻

Great question.

I don't like overdone hi-hats stands with lots of adjustments, so I always go for one of Pearl's simpler models. They're very smooth and sturdy. There's nothing "weak" or "inconsistent" about them. I've never had one malfunction under any circumstances.
I stumbled across a great deal on a Pearl 930 the other day and didn't pull the trigger in time and have been kicking myself ever since. Now I'm wondering if I should set my sights a bit lower and go for an 830.

Last edited:
The Tama stands I've played on backline kits and so on have all been pretty nice. I'd say that of just about all Tama hardware I've come across. Quality-wise, it's up there with Pearl.

Oh my God; what's become of me?
I think you’ve been working too hard of late mate, or maybe it’s your coffee? :unsure: Let’s get back on track a bit by mentioning my Pearl 930 cymbal stands!😀(y)

Are you playing partial triplets and other three way coordination figures? My adjustable Yamaha stand can’t keep up with those. Actually I can’t tell if it’s the stand, the 15” cymbals, me or a combination of all three. At one point I thought had a similar issue with my bass drum pedal but it turned out to be my foot. 🤷🏻

Great question.
Yeah I've started to recently explore playing something else than 2 and 4, great suggestions in this post, I also have a Pearl stand not sure what model it is, its pretty good but rather heavy, I'm attaching a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_083535944.jpg
    IMG_20210828_083535944.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 6
Being taught to tap feet in band, such as toes, seated heel tap in concert (played trombone), or step in place for marching. I do come from a school of active foot work for time keeping, and use this for hat work when riding or filling if not using double.

I use the Pearl Redline 1050 hi hat stand it does really well. Not really much to it, has quick release cymbal lock, foot pedal angle adjustable, and spring tensioner for response sensitivity.

Last edited:
Picked this guy up used for about $60 USD, and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. You can adjust the spring tension easily with the knob at the bottom and it's quite stable.
I have the jimmy legs, fast twitch almost like a tic and this guy keeps up just fine. 16301605824585226789442722715355.jpg16301606076773743412835524765032.jpg16301606291311106664590380646253.jpg16301605824585226789442722715355.jpg16301606076773743412835524765032.jpg16301606291311106664590380646253.jpg

The Tama stands I've played on backline kits and so on have all been pretty nice. I'd say that of just about all Tama hardware I've come across. Quality-wise, it's up there with Pearl.

Oh my God; what's become of me?
You have expanded your horizons! Welcome to the Tama camp! :ROFLMAO: Jk, I know you are a died in the wool Pearl guy.

I'm rather heavy on my Hi Hat foot as I always count with it when not playing the hats with a stick. I've always used Yamaha 3 leg Hi Hats, both single or double braced. Never had any issues. Recently I used of the 2 leg models. I was skeptical about it moving around on my or rocking back and forth while I pounded on it with my foot, but it was rock solid!

Back