Hi-hat stand and double kick pedal too close!

daktari

New to the forum, but I've been reading for a couple weeks.

I started playing when I was six years old, and although have not sat on a kit for about 20 years, I recently was invited to sit in with a buddy who plays some classic rock covers. Their drummer was not able to continue playing, but left his kit in the basement! So I'm using it as long he leaves it there. It's a couple steps up from the backup kit down there.

So here's my issue: I have size 17 feet. Which means they're wider than the pedals in the image. I'd like to have the hi-hat pedal farther away from the kick pedal, but the hi-hat leg is situated right where the kick pedal is. I've shortened the linkage for the kick pedal as short as it can be, which did help some by moving the hi-hat close to me for less of a reach. But I'd still like it closer. Basically, I'd like a couple inches of the hi-hat right over the snare.

I've even considered switching to a left hand hi-hat strike over this...

Can anyone offer pics of their setup or tips how to improve this one? Thanks!

Our current setlist:

Dreammare
The Bomber
Paranoid (Grand Funk Live)
Perfect Strangers
Lord of This World
Pretty as You Please (by Cry of Love)

zarrdoss

Gold Member
you might consider getting a 2 legged hi hat stand. Or if the legs swivel turn them slightly counter clockwise and put it behind the bass pedal and then get them farther apart.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Agree, swivelling legs (or one less leg!) on the hihat stand can make double pedal placement easier.

Another suggestion (not sure if it helps) - if you mostly want to get the hi-hat closer to the snare, then you could try putting the second kick pedal the other side of the hihat pedal (to the left of the hihat pedal). I do this since I use the hihat more than the second kick pedal, and I find this more comfortable. You do need a double pedal that goes wide, but the Pearl pedal will do this (the bar that connects the second pedal can be set pretty long on the Pearl). Just a thought.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
it looks like you might have a hi hat stand that can't be swiveled. that would be a problem. i see in the picture that one of the legs is inside the double pedal in an awkward position. hi hat stands with legs that swivel can be had for not a whole lot of money so you might want to consider that.

even with that though, it's hard to get the hats really close to the snare if you have a double pedal. i just live with it, but if it really bothers you, you could look into something like this:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?src=3WFRWXX&entProductId=448994

Travis22

I had the same issue with my first kit cause it came with a cheap POS hihat stand. Here's what I did:

The legs would fold in, but the base was rivited to the stand so there was no swiveling happening. So, I took the rivit out, rotated the legs to where I wanted them, then drilled a new hole all the way through the stand and put a bolt through it with washers and a nut. Worked perfect, and the legs still would fold in. You just have to be careful how you do this since the rod runs all the way through the stand, and if you bend that or the bolt is rubbing it could cause some sticking issues or delay in the opening of the hats.

But if this isn't your kit, you probably should ask the owner first before altering anything like that. If he/she has a issue with it, about the only thing you really can do is buy a new stand or put the kick pedal on the left side.

If you do buy a new stand, many of the intro level stands swivel these days, so that could save you some money. Or there's always the option of getting a used one.

daktari

I ended up moving the kick pedal to the other (left) side of the hi-hat. Only a couple errors thus far. A double kick fill doesn't sound so good when every other sound is a hi-hat... ;)

The solution is not perfect, so I'll consider a two legged hi-hat stand. Are they angled back from center? I looked at a couple stands online and the views were not from top down, so the actual position was not certain.

Like a Mercedes logo, but with the top of the log being the actual pedal?

moontheloon

Silver Member
I ended up moving the kick pedal to the other (left) side of the hi-hat. Only a couple errors thus far. A double kick fill doesn't sound so good when every other sound is a hi-hat... ;)

The solution is not perfect, so I'll consider a two legged hi-hat stand. Are they angled back from center? I looked at a couple stands online and the views were not from top down, so the actual position was not certain.

Like a Mercedes logo, but with the top of the log being the actual pedal?

you need a 2 leg hat stand. problem solved

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i found this thread on the vdrums forum that talks about the same issue...

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?66622-Hi-hat-stand-hinders-double-bass-pedal

people show pictures of their setups with both two legged and three legged hi hat stands. there's one near the bottom of a guy with 3 legged gibraltar hi hat stand setup basically how i do it with the legs rotated so the slave bass pedal can squeeze in right next to the hi hat pedal. that solution works fine for me.

i learned that gibraltar even makes a zero legged hi hat stand for people with serious floor space problems!

daktari

I ended up buying a Pacific Drums PDHH820 2 leg hi-hat stand. It was wobbly at first, as some reviewers mentioned. I messed with it for a bit and it's now as sturdy as a three leg model. Not only is a two leg model, but those legs swivel for better fit among a person's equipment.

I'm very pleased to have the second kick drum pedal back where it feels more natural for me. My feet are still big, but there's not a lot I can do about that...

Thanks for the suggestions.