Hi hat sounds and techniques

drummingman

Gold Member
I've been thinking about hi hat foot work as of late. For many years I played with a drop clutch so I could keep my hats set far apart for left foot work. I wanted a loud chick sound when I stomped my left foot so it would cut through as much as possible in a metal setting. I do a good deal of left foot work in my playing through foot stomps on the hats and hi hat barks.

After about 22 years playing with my hats this way I started setting them to where they were always in a sloshy position so I could get that very aggressive sound while playing double bass instead of a "shessh" type of sound like one gets when you wack a drop clutch and the top hat is just laying on the bottom hat. But with this set up left foot volume has always been greatly diminished. But I've kind of just delt with that and still did left foot stomp hat thing's even though its not as loud.

As of late I've been thinking about going back to the drop clutch set up. There are a few reasons for this. But I have my concerns. Here are the pros in my mind: 1: When doing double bass with the drop clutch the double bass work will sound more defined because the cymbals won't be sloshy and overly nosey because the top hat will be resting on the bottom hat. 2: When I want a sloshy hat sound it will make me have to have my left foot on the hi hat pedal controlling the distance of the hats. This will keep me from overusing double bass as one my be tempted to do when the hats are set sloshy and the left foot is just resting on the second bass drum pedal. 3: And lastly when doing left foot hi hat barks and foot stomps it will sound way more defined because of the distance the top hat can be set from the bottom hat.
The con's: 1: less aggressive sounding hats when playing double bass. 2: Not really being sure that left foot hi hat stomps for the chick sounds will cut through loud metal guitars, bass and vocals.

So I am going back and forth on the topic in my head as to which way I think is best. Just to say, I don't have anywhere else on my kit to put a second pair of hi hats that feels comfortable to me. And I don't like Tama's Cobra Clutch which some use to address this problem. So for me it's a drop clutch or setting a regular clutch to where the hats are sloshy. Those are really my only 2 options.

Feel free to share your thought's!

SpookyCadaver

Honestly, Id' suggest keeping your left hi hats open to point that you get that great chick, and get a pair of aux hats that you have sloshy enough to play on when playing double bass.

harryconway

Platinum Member
So for me it's a drop clutch or setting a regular clutch to where the hats are sloshy. Those are really my only 2 options.
Can't you set your drop clutch to a position that allows a sloshy setting? Do that for the songs requiring that sound. Reset it for songs you want more prominent hi-hat "chick".​

Attachments

G

Ghostnote

Honestly, Id' suggest keeping your left hi hats open to point that you get that great chick, and get a pair of aux hats that you have sloshy enough to play on when playing double bass.
Thus is what I was going to suggest