hi hat sizzle

alparrott

Platinum Member
Hello everyone.

I know this forum thread has been inactive for a long time but in case someone is looking for the same thing or one of you is coming back and who can answer.

It is true that Lars Ulrich opts sizzle with Drop Clutch (several models used since the years) from the beginning but how ??? I look for me too if he made something special as a spring between the 2 hats but no. Nothing. Just a Tama HH905 stand, a Zildjian 14 '' Dyno-Beat and a DW Drop Clutch.

I own the same stand and Hi-Hat of the same type, Heavy Top / Extra-Heavy Bottom and I have to put the standard Clutch Tama loose with 1-2mm of space and I adjust the sustain with the screw from below the '' Felt '', the one that gives an angle.

So yes, it's a legitimate question to know how LU has so much sizzle and that his Hi-Hat '' waltzes '' up to 40-45 degrees when he's not playing too fast like '' For Whorm The Bell Tolls, Unforgiven, Until It Sleep, Atlas Rises '' ???
Looks like he just has his top cymbal very loose on the clutch so that it wobbles when he gives it a good punch. Gavin Harrison also keeps his hats rather loose and gets some good angle out of them at times.

Gottliver

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but is it not standard practice to set the top hat loose between it’s felts? Isn’t that what the top lock nut is for? Loose top hat plus angled bottom hats equals good foot chick, crisps tone, slosh and sizzle? Mmm slosh and sizzle....time to eat!!!!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If you never use your hi hat pedal (metal, punk, whatever) and want a good sloshy sizzle, here is a simple way to do it. Put your top cymbal on the rod and let it sit on the bottom hat. Don't tighten the clutch yet. Take one hand and pust the hi hat rod down about 1mm or so and now tighten the clutch. The spring will push the rod up, but the weight of the cymbal will keep it from returning all the way. Your cymbals are now locked in at barely touching.

It is impossible to get a good chick sound doing this. However, they can still be played tight, get a good open snick (is this what we call it?), and slosh or sizzle like crazy with your foot off the pedal.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Gosh Lars "technique" looks as terrible as mine-death grip, arm resting on thigh-sure makes me feel better that it probably doesn't matter LOL.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
In the second picture of Lars, I'm guessing his left foot is on his slave bass drum pedal, so this would be the natural postion for his open hats. The first picture I'm guessing the photog caught the hats just after striking them. I don't think they sit that way as is evident in the second photo.

calan

Silver Member
Hello everyone.

I know this forum thread has been inactive for a long time but in case someone is looking for the same thing or one of you is coming back and who can answer.

It is true that Lars Ulrich opts sizzle with Drop Clutch (several models used since the years) from the beginning but how ??? I look for me too if he made something special as a spring between the 2 hats but no. Nothing. Just a Tama HH905 stand, a Zildjian 14 '' Dyno-Beat and a DW Drop Clutch.

I own the same stand and Hi-Hat of the same type, Heavy Top / Extra-Heavy Bottom and I have to put the standard Clutch Tama loose with 1-2mm of space and I adjust the sustain with the screw from below the '' Felt '', the one that gives an angle.

So yes, it's a legitimate question to know how LU has so much sizzle and that his Hi-Hat '' waltzes '' up to 40-45 degrees when he's not playing too fast like '' For Whorm The Bell Tolls, Unforgiven, Until It Sleep, Atlas Rises '' ???
The drop clutch is really the thing here.

If set for a fairly wide gap under normal use, you can really get the hats moving when dropped, because there is nothing securing the top hat to the rod. The lower part of the clutch will travel up the rod when you lay into the hats.

You can get the same effect on a normal clutch simply by loosening the wingnut so it's not grabbing the rod, but the downside of that should be evident.