Hi hat sizes?

synergy

I need some help deciding on hihat size. I currently play 14 inches but I'm looking for a new set.

I don't care about the make I just wanted to know the reason why you guys would choose 14's over 13's and vice versa

The gear I choose to use depends entirely on the music I am playing and the orchestration within the ensemble. 14" hats are versatile and work in most situations. 13"s are not as versatile. I've used splash cymbals, crash cymbals and ride cymbals as hats. I have also combined chinas with crashes. Whatever works.

you really got to try them out and see what size you like..kjnda like snare drums...I personally prefer 14" for both...

I'been playing only 14" hi hats, and now I'm planing on moving to a pair of 15", I think it depends on the way you play too, if you are a hard hitter (like myself) going bigger is a nice move to do, also it depends on the type of music that you play... Listen to the sound samples in the website of whatever brand your planing to get...

Hope it helps

I like my 14 hats for everything and I keep a couple of different sets of hats only for specific sounds with different scenarios.

For instance, I like my 13 in K top with an A Quick Beat bottom for quieter music and when I want a darker stick sound.

I rocked out for about a year with a 16 in. ZXT Rock Crash as a bottom (3 holes drilled in the bottom Quick Beat style) with a 16 in. A Medium Crash for a top. Great hats for loud rock.

Usually, the larger will give you more volume. I've tended to play 14" and 15" hats, most of my life. Currently, I own 3 sets. My Istanbul Mehmet Turks are 15s. My Paiste ColorSound 5s are 14s. My Zildjian Special Recordings are 10s.

I'been playing only 14" hi hats, and now I'm planing on moving to a pair of 15", I think it depends on the way you play too, if you are a hard hitter (like myself) going bigger is a nice move to do, also it depends on the type of music that you play... Listen to the sound samples in the website of whatever brand your planing to get...

Hope it helps

I play 15" hats, and I'm seriously thinking about moving up to 16".

I like the darker, chunkier sound and the extra diameter also makes the cymbals to reach without having to compromise where I want the pedal to sit. Also, with more cymbal it opens up being able to get more sounds out of them.

I find smaller hats to be too quick and too bright for my taste and playing style.

I started drumming using 13" hats because I liked how bright and articulate they were. Very easy to control and get a lot of nuance from. But as soon as I started playing in very loud bands, they just didn't cut it for me anymore. Now I'm all 14" all the time. Wouldn't mind trying some 15"s but it's not a real high priority for me right now. I like my 14" New Beats and A Custom Mastersounds.

Generally speaking and all other things being equal, 13s are tighter and brighter than 14s, but the 14s usually give more volume. The good thing about buying smaller cymbals is that they use up less of your hard earned money.

I have been playing 13's all my life, they are quicker and higher pitched. For live they are great.
I've played on 14's and they are also great, a bit more body, lower pitched but not as fast.
My preference is the 13's though. But were not talking a major difference here though. Its a 1/2 inch all around.

The 13 1/4" Zildjian K hybrids??? may be a happy medium for someone who is caught in between and can't make up their mind. Maybe someone that owns these hats can shed some light?

I own 13" A custom mastersound

All my Hi Hat cymbals are 14", except for a pair of Zildjian 12" Recording hats. I like the tone and volume that 14" hats deliver. You can always down play them, but there is only a certain amount of volume you can get from smaller hats.

Dennis

Thanks guys, when I bought my last hats I was deciding between 13 & 14 and I eventually went with the 14s. Though ever since I've had that what if feeling. I've never had problems with volume- though I'm not a hard hitter.

I like to have complex tones from my hats, more on the darker side- it sounds like the 13s will be brighter? I'm not sure that's what Im looking for

I like to have complex tones from my hats, more on the darker side- it sounds like the 13s will be brighter? I'm not sure that's what Im looking for

I'd say it's more about 13"'s having a higher pitch than being brighter comparing to 14" and above when talking 'bout hi-hats in general. For example pair of 13" Turk hats are way darker than 14" Paiste 2002's.

I'm really liking bigger-sized hats lately. A pair of 15 Artisans or K Light hats would be great. They just seem to have less annoying high frequencies in them and way more wash and body. Not too good for the articulate stuff, but I guess that's the payoff.

I really miss my 13" K's. They went with my set. :-( Right now i'm using a set of 14" ZBT Plus and, I'm surprised, they sound remarkably good.

I have a set of 13 inch Masterwork Jazz Series I like, and a set of Zildjian 15 inch New Beats which are OK but would rather have the same model in the 14's.

I love my 13" K's. It's be cool to get a bigger set to compliment them (something really sloshy)

-Jonathan

Back