Hi-hat problems.

Beans244

Hey, gang. I've been an on and off drummer for a while. I want to get into like a full time hobby but I'm running into an issue that bugs me. My hi-hat keeps chewing up my sticks. Any advice?

This is how it looks after I play.

Attachments

ottog1979

Move the tilting adjustment screw for the bottom hat so that it's nearest you. Then, you can adjust the screw so that both hats will tilt very slightly away from you causing the top hat to fully cover the bottom hat - an "overbite" in a sense. The "underbite" like shown in your picture and that causes to much stick chewing will then be opposite of you and not where your stick strikes.

Attachments

C.M. Jones

Are you playing primarily with the shoulder of your sticks? Doing so is the fastest way to shred hickory. Try playing mostly with your tips. You'll get better rebound, superior stick definition, and a longer life from your sticks.

ottog1979

PS. I play with both my tip and shoulder of my stick on the hats depending on what sound I want. But often with the shoulder. I do wear out stick via chewing up, but only a pair every month or two.

C.M. Jones

PS. I play with both my tip and shoulder of my stick on the hats depending on what sound I want. But often with the shoulder. I do wear out stick via chewing up, but only a pair every month or two.
I'm not defining using the shoulder of the stick as a fault of any sort. It certainly has its place at times, particularly when enhanced volume is desired. As a rule, however, playing mostly with the tip produces a cleaner sound and is much easier on your sticks. Playing with the tip is also easier on your hands, as the shoulder hampers natural rebound. I'm all about natural rebound (i.e., allowing the sticks to do the bulk of the work).

Beans244

Move the tilting adjustment screw for the bottom hat so that it's nearest you. Then, you can adjust the screw so that both hats will tilt very slightly away from you causing the top hat to fully cover the bottom hat - an "overbite" in a sense. The "underbite" like shown in your picture and that causes to much stick chewing will then be opposite of you and not where your stick strikes.
Thanks, I readjusted the tilt (didn't know you could do that to be honest) and the underbite is gone. Thanks for the help guys.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You might also consider the height at which your hi hats reside. The higher they are, the more prone you are to chopping with the shoulder of the stick.