hi hat cymbal blown out ?

A

Anthony Amodeo

check out Steve Jordans bottom hi hat cymbal (which is most likely a 17" crash cymbal like Steve is know to use) at 2:53 on in this video

it seems to have blown inside out

I can honestly say I have never seen this before in all my years

I guess the only downfall of using crash cymbals as hi hats?

Bo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jR4vHbPAEg&feature=related

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I think "inverted" is the term. I have seen it happen, but only in high schools where somebody accidently steps on a crash cymbal that was left on the floor. Twice, the cymbal cracked upon "righting" it, but once it didn't, but the sound changed noticeably.

Not a good situation, either way...

Wavelength

Platinum Member
I've seen this a few times with 14" and even 13" hats, and in all cases they've been extra thin. Just applying enough (excessive might be a better word in this case...) force with the pedal can have this effect.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I saw this video earlier and felt some concern. However, my bottom 17" is a medium thin crash I managed to find on eBay for $70. If it ever happens to me, I'll search out a 17" medium next time. It had crossed my mind to maybe find a 17" Z series, but I think that would crank the pitch of the entire set up too high. My thin 17" top seems to be behaving ok. We shall see what happens.

Duracell

Happened to me once with a regular 14" hi-hat. I don't remember what type it was exactly. It was inverted back and it still sounded fine. Gave me a heart-attack when I saw it though...

Nickropolis

I know someone who had this happen with hand crashes for band. It was due to a vacuum or strange air pressure between them.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I've seen it in a beaten up rehearsal studio kit - thin crash on the bottom. If you use crashes as hats I think it's good to have a thick heavy metal type cymbal on the bottom for both stability and fatness.

A

audiotech

I've seen this happen with a very heavy footed player on a pair of 14" hats.

Dennis

Muckster

Platinum Member
My first pair of hi hats when i was a kid was an old pair of extremely thin Zildjian 13" Light Hi Hats. They were continuously inverting on me. I would get a nice trashy oriental sound always at the wrong time.

Arky

Platinum Member
Happened to me a few times while I was cutting down (cracked) cymbals, either reducing them in size or modding them into bells. 2 times it was Paiste brass crashes (rather thin), 1 time it was a thin Meinl classic splash. But that was not a playing situation ;-)

wsabol

Gold Member
I've seen this happen several times with crash cymbals in marching band. It happens. But I've never seen one crack upon righting it. No sound change at all. I saw someone do this with a china one time too, haha.

There is a video of the Bosphorus cymbal factory that shown the craftsmen inverting the cymbal back and forth whenever they switch the side they are hammering. I'll find it and post it later.

A

Anthony Amodeo

when I said I had never seen this ....I meant to a bottom hi hat cymbal

happens all the time in marching bands.....so much that the invert is pretty much expected

never seen it happen on a hat stand

SgtThump

Platinum Member
when I said I had never seen this ....I meant to a bottom hi hat cymbal

happens all the time in marching bands.....so much that the invert is pretty much expected

never seen it happen on a hat stand
I can't imagine pressing down on the hi-hat stand enough to make that happen, but I guess it can? Yikes.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I did have my bottom hi hat invert on time.They were cheap Krut cymbals and a little on the thin side.I think I got a little carried away,ans all of a sudden..there was no chick sound,and the action of the pedal felt...strange.I made me go out and buy that pair of New Beats a little sooner.

Steve B