Hi hat combo: K top, NB bottom?

Mustion

You hear a lot about the K/Z combo hi hat but from time to time I see a K top with a New Beat bottom being sold somewhere. Anybody have any experience with this setup? I imagine it would be a compromise between the standard K bottom and the heavy Z. There was a recently a really good deal for a set on the bay but I snoozed and losed, as it were...

alparrott

Platinum Member
You hear a lot about the K/Z combo hi hat but from time to time I see a K top with a New Beat bottom being sold somewhere. Anybody have any experience with this setup? I imagine it would be a compromise between the standard K bottom and the heavy Z. There was a recently a really good deal for a set on the bay but I snoozed and losed, as it were...
I imagine you're right.

Here's a set up for $169 plus shipping, not a bad deal: https://www.ebay.com/p/Zildjian-K-Custom-Hybrid-14-Hi-Hat-Cymbal/78714195?iid=323703698539

Here's a video of a 3 pack with a K Custom Dark top and New Beat top and bottom - probably somewhat similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgZ_1OtzsNo

Ang

I played an older K top and an A N.B. bottom combo for years. They were 13” and given to me by a guitarist friend that I was playing with at that time. They performed very well in the heavier rock band that I was in at the time.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Zildjian issued a 3 cymbal hi hat pack a few years back.

Can't remember the exact combo but I think it was K light hats with a NB bottom.

It was only available in the US otherwise I'd have been all over it!

johnwesley

Silver Member
I used both the K top and new beat AND K top and quick beat bottom. Both were excellent. The heavier NB AND QB bottoms increased volume and "metalness" of sound and great for hard rock and louder genres. Just depends on what your idea of "sound" is. JW

Dave_G

I've played around with a number of hi hat combinations including that one over the years. I used a 14" K Custom Dark top with a New Beat bottom. It's a cool sound but I felt like it has a mushier sticking feel, which is why I changed back to a standard New beat set up. Anyhow, that's my two cents.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Zildjian issued a 3 cymbal hi hat pack a few years back.

Can't remember the exact combo but I think it was K light hats with a NB bottom.

It was only available in the US otherwise I'd have been all over it!
It's the 3 pack in the video I posted a little bit above your comment - and the 3rd cymbal was a K Custom Dark.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
I have 14 NB and 14 K Lights. I often mix the K Light Top with NB bottom and it sounds great. Maybe even my favourite combination. Just a little more complex sounding than NB top/NB bottom, but still sounds solid.

P

Peedy

You hear a lot about the K/Z combo hi hat but from time to time I see a K top with a New Beat bottom being sold somewhere. Anybody have any experience with this setup?

One thing to keep in mind is that the NB hats have changed a lot since they came out in the 60s.

I have a really early NB bottom with hammering (machine) on both sides and it's really dark, more like a K. And then I have a mid 70s set that's bright and I swear it was recorded on every disco album ever made. Bright bright bright.

Best case scenario is to hit up a friend with some and mix/match till you hear what you like.

ZildjianLover

Back when I had a pair of early 1970s New Beats and K Con Sound Lab Prototype Hi-Hats, I enjoyed mixing and matching them since they were both 14". The K Con top was heavier than the New Beat top, but the New Beats had a heavier bottom hat, so for harder rock, I liked to pair the K Con top with the New Beat Bottom. For jazz, I would pair the New Beat top with the K Con top.

mikyok

Platinum Member
It's the 3 pack in the video I posted a little bit above your comment - and the 3rd cymbal was a K Custom Dark.
Cheers man, don't know how I missed your comment!

Mustion; said:
You hear a lot about the K/Z combo hi hat
They are great hats. I've had some for years, they record great. Nice short biting hats that get out of the way quickly and bloody loud!

I really wonder, did u try this idea? NB bottom, K top; i really wonder. Actually i want buy new hi hats. I want buy 3 another cymbals like you thinking. Probably i'll buy K pair and one Z or New Beat bottom. I have no chance to try. But i really wonder. My last hihat's pair was 13'' New Beats, and they was amazing! But i want more darker and rich sound now. ı watched many K hihat's videos. And they are not loudy enogh for me. Only regular K sounds better for my ear. But if i buy 3 different cymbals, i can mix them when i want. :) So if you already tried, please tell me :)

Local Oaf

My favorite mix and match I ever did was a Zildjian A Custom Mastersound bottom under Paiste Signature Fast Crash.

It was bright and also thin sounding, but in a great way. It was cool as hell.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Here's my 3 pack - a standard pair of 14"New Beats with an extra K top.
They're on the heavy side, just the way I like them.
The NB bottom is 1422 g., the NB top is 907 g., and surprisingly the K top is 1134 g.

Despite being heavier, the K top is darker than the NB. Must be the hammering, I guess.
It sounds good, but it doesn't have the brighter snap and bark that the NB top has.
They're both fairly loud, but each would do better with filling different frequency ranges - just depends what you're after.

KNB1 - Copy.JPGKNB2 - Copy.JPG

Last edited: