Hi-hat bottom mounting hole: how does this happen and can it be removed?

Jasperdrummer

So, as you can see on the hi-hat bottom there's a black ring that's developed on the inside of the mounting hole. Outside is fine, and this hasn't affected the top hat either. Can it be removed? I'm hoping it's not tarnished. I've never cleaned them btw.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 64

Twakeshima

Mine do this all the time. It’s just residue from the felts/plastic/cymbal polish/dirty sticks. You can probably clean it up with a bit of Zildjian cymbal polish and a paper towel. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t do anything to the sound though. Won’t break your cymbal either. I wouldn’t be too worried.

Twakeshima

Mine do this all the time. It’s just residue from the felts/plastic/rubber/dirty sticks. You can probably clean it up with a bit of Zildjian cymbal polish and a paper towel. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t do anything to the sound though. Won’t break your cymbal either. I wouldn’t be too worried.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Plus, you posted this on the wrong forum: this is the Drum Gear/ Drums forum. You should probably post questions about dirty cymbals on the Drum Gear/ Cymbals forum lol

Stroman

Platinum Member
I've seen that on brand new cymbals. I believe it is a remnant of the raw casting surface that simply doesn't get lathed off in the manufacturing process. It doesn't need to be cleaned off, and doesn't affect the sound.

That barcode sticker, on the other hand - that's gotta go.