Hi guys

Gatallica777

I need help, this is driving me insane. I just purchased some Tama Speed Cobra 310 double pedals.

I have no experience with double bass pedals, let alone how they are supposed to feel. I looked around online and choose these as I know Tama is a reputable brand.

So I think the positioning of everything is ok, I have a 20 inch bass drum head, the pedals just are above the middle of the head. The beaters stick out about 3-4 inches from the bottom.

I want to learn metal, ive heard 45 degrees from the head is good, but im dumb when it comes to maths, degrees etc. I also have learnt that for that type of drumming, the tighter the strings the better.

I figured to tighten the springs as tight as I could get them, then adjust from there. The slave pedal seems to be ok, the angle of the pedal and amount of energy to press it isnt a lot, again I dont know what I am supposed to be feeling.

The issue is with the main pedal. I cant get it tight, I can keep turning the nuts and they keep turning, they wont stay fully tight. I worry that it is an issue with the nuts, or if the spring is damaged for some reason, why when I keep twisting does the nut keep turning? Ive pulled the spring down as far as I can, the screw must be coming 4 or 5 inches from the bottom.

The main pedal is very light, I think the slave is too but at least I can tighten that to the point where I cant tighten it no more, I dunno, maybe I can.

I couldnt find a shop to walk into which stocked this pedal, after my purchase I started to see online that people had issues with it, I didnt want to spend more than £200. I did look a while on Ebay for some second hand Iron Cobras or Speed Cobra better models, I wonder if the Iron Cobra Jnr would have been a better purchase, or even another brand.

Let me know your thoughts, I need to learn how to use them obviously, but something doesnt feel right. I forgot to mention I adjusted the seat height so I can just about reach the toms, also the pedals are in a tight spot with the hi hat pedal, doesnt leave much room for the slave pedal, unless I went for Tama stands, first of all I want to try and sort the pedal, so I can rest at night.

Cheers Guys

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
I need help, this is driving me insane. I just purchased some Tama Speed Cobra 310 double pedals.

I have no experience with double bass pedals, let alone how they are supposed to feel. I looked around online and choose these as I know Tama is a reputable brand.

So I think the positioning of everything is ok, I have a 20 inch bass drum head, the pedals just are above the middle of the head. The beaters stick out about 3-4 inches from the bottom.

I want to learn metal, ive heard 45 degrees from the head is good, but im dumb when it comes to maths, degrees etc. I also have learnt that for that type of drumming, the tighter the strings the better.

I figured to tighten the springs as tight as I could get them, then adjust from there. The slave pedal seems to be ok, the angle of the pedal and amount of energy to press it isnt a lot, again I dont know what I am supposed to be feeling.

The issue is with the main pedal. I cant get it tight, I can keep turning the nuts and they keep turning, they wont stay fully tight. I worry that it is an issue with the nuts, or if the spring is damaged for some reason, why when I keep twisting does the nut keep turning? Ive pulled the spring down as far as I can, the screw must be coming 4 or 5 inches from the bottom.

The main pedal is very light, I think the slave is too but at least I can tighten that to the point where I cant tighten it no more, I dunno, maybe I can.

I couldnt find a shop to walk into which stocked this pedal, after my purchase I started to see online that people had issues with it, I didnt want to spend more than £200. I did look a while on Ebay for some second hand Iron Cobras or Speed Cobra better models, I wonder if the Iron Cobra Jnr would have been a better purchase, or even another brand.

Let me know your thoughts, I need to learn how to use them obviously, but something doesnt feel right. I forgot to mention I adjusted the seat height so I can just about reach the toms, also the pedals are in a tight spot with the hi hat pedal, doesnt leave much room for the slave pedal, unless I went for Tama stands, first of all I want to try and sort the pedal, so I can rest at night.

Cheers Guys
You don't pull the spring down when increasing the tension.

At the bottom of the spring, you'll see two nut-type things, one above the other.

First turn the top nut so that it moves towards the top of the pedal.

When you are done with that, turn the bottom nut so that it goes up as far as it can go.

You don't need to have crazy spring tensions to play metal, for the record.

Do read the manual for your new pedals too! Congratulations!

Fritz Frigursson

Lol saw this post from Reddit r/drums, what's up man?

You don't necessarily have to have the spring at max tension at all times and same goes for the beater angle. Keep changing the tension and beater angle until you find the right feel for you. There isn't a real objective guide on how to set your pedals so we can't help you much.