Hi everyone! What is Linear Drumming? We try to answer in this week’s video with a little help from drumming buddy Jonathan Curtis!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff! I was incorporating linear elements into my drumming way back in the early 80's - well before it was an identifiable thing. I'd like to think I was pioneering, but the truth is, it was born of incompetence. There were things I wanted to play, especially in a prog setting, that I didn't have the skill to pull off with the requisite coordination, so I improvised, & got away with it because it was usually on a loud stage.

As I progressed, I overcame the coordination barriers & learn't to play those things properly, but I also came to realise the forced linear stuff presented flavour options, so I kept them in the toolbox.

Rob Hirons

Good stuff! I was incorporating linear elements into my drumming way back in the early 80's - well before it was an identifiable thing. I'd like to think I was pioneering, but the truth is, it was born of incompetence. There were things I wanted to play, especially in a prog setting, that I didn't have the skill to pull off with the requisite coordination, so I improvised, & got away with it because it was usually on a loud stage.

As I progressed, I overcame the coordination barriers & learn't to play those things properly, but I also came to realise the forced linear stuff presented flavour options, so I kept them in the toolbox.
Sounds like you’ve come along way since those early days you talk about. Glad you liked the vid.